Pages

Saturday, August 13, 2016

A Little Work Top - Simplicity 2599 again.



 I really find it difficult to motivate myself to sew when it is close to the end of a season.  It hardly seems worthwhile sewing a garment for winter when winter is coming to an end, and the garment may not be worn until next winter (all supposing it fits).  It's hard to get motivated to sew for the next season, because again, you may not wear the garment for a few months.

So I was stuck in a demotivated sewing rut.  So I decided I better make myself sew something I might need in summer, but really didn't want to make - a fairly boring little shell top I can wear to work on very hot days.  

So I made another version of Simplicity 2599:


This little top is very simple little top, very generous over the tummy region.  I made this version in a poly-cotton gingham, purchased from Spotlight.   The gingham has very tiny checks and I can't get a good photo as the flash just washed the pattern out.  

The poly-cotton was lightweight 80 poly/20 cotton.  Not my favourite mix - I prefer at least 35% cotton.  Te higher polyester content meant that my sleeve heads did not want to ease well.  But with such a lot of polyester, the top is drip dry, no iron, so perfect for work and also travel.  Especially as it dries so quickly.

I have previously adjusted the pattern so that I have longer short sleeves, if that makes sense.  You can see that post by clicking here.

I'll quickly post my photos, which have to be some of the more poorly lit ones I have taken.  And these were the best.  I have to admit I hate taking blog photos, especially as I do not have a good light space.  The overhead lights are on, and the photos are still dark.  And this is with another bright light shining on them.  And self timing is never fun - most photos turn out to be unusable.  I took about 40 today, and these are the best handful.  And if I look fed up, it was because I was :)







Well, that's  a wardrobe need ticked off the list!  A good feeling, because I won't have to make this in the future!  It's nice to get the needed but I don't want to sew it garments ticked off the list.

Over the next few weeks I will be posting garments that have been made but not yet blogged.  And also, I will be taking part in Star Thread's  Sew for 30 2016.  The concept is simple - sew for 30 minutes a day during the month of September.  Visit Star's blog for more information, if you are interested.


Now, I attempt to sew for a few minutes every day.  Sometimes I can only manage to do something like iron on interfacing - today I cut something out.  But it is the small steps that lead to a finished garment.  I might even document my process during September, to show you how it is possible to sew a little every day, and come up with a finished garment quite quickly.

That's it for now, 

Have a happy and healthy week, wherever you are,

Sarah Liz

29 comments:

  1. What a great little top. Sounds like it will be useful you. I try to sew a bit every weekday evening but can't always manage the weekends. I've been doing bead necklaces this week instead, but still creating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and so long as you are doing something to create and relax :)

      Delete
  2. I LOVE little tops like this-gratifying to sew, easy to wear, can be dressed up with accessories. I am with you on the photography...my new environment makes photos overexposed when outside and when in...not enough light. I finally found one spot with good lighting. Again, cute top SarahLiz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mary - yes, it's easy to whizz up a week's worth of summer tops with a simple pattern. And photos...glad I am not the only one.

      Delete
  3. I love this pattern, I have made it several times.. A really good wardrobe pattern.
    Love your top with that skirt.. very pretty. Happy sewing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - yes, you are right, it's a brilliant little wardrobe builder.

      Delete
  4. This is a nice little staple top. It can be easily worn into the next season, since the color is neutral. Completely agree with out about the next season that upon us, after all where has this year gone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, I like neutrals. And I agree, the time has flown by this year.

      Delete
  5. I really like this top on you Sarah. It's simple, yet easy to wear and combine with other pieces. Looks great!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Star - I love simple basics, quite my style :)

      Delete
  6. Very nice top, Sarah. Photography for my blog just drives me insane also! I never seem to quickly find the "idea" shot location with perfect lighting. So I go searching through my house and yard snapping pictures! Oh Goodness! Have a restful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regina - yes, I think a few of us may be photo adverse :)

      Delete
  7. Full marks for perseverence with the self-timer Sarah Liz. I have to learn to do that one of these days! Your top is lovely, and I think I need to check out that pattern. Good drafting is gold in the world of patterns. The tiny black and white check is so on-trend and as you say, it will be easy-care too. Win, Win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia - I hate the self timer, but at least I can get photos done. I think this is a great pattern for a basic - you may of course need to alter the bust area. But it is a simple, skimming top, and we all need that skim, I think!

      Delete
  8. I can sew the gingham in the one photo - it is a flattering blouse with a very pretty fabric.

    The only way I get any sewing down is to do it in manageable bits everyday. Somedays I am too busy but most days, 20 to 30 minutes makes headway on projects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can see -- not sew -- the gingham!

      Delete
    2. Hi Annie, yes, I knew what you meant - I see two words together sometimes and muddle them up - it's part of having a visual mind. Yes, 20 mins gets the sewing done over time, and it's you time.

      Delete
  9. This is such a great pattern! I really like your top - you can wear it in so may ways. I think you'll find it very handy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - this is version 3, and I have another cut out!

      Delete
  10. I can see this piece wearing now with layers and then taking you into the next season for warmer days. Lovely top, its very you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, I am starting to think plain and simple suits me best! You are right, I hadn't thought of layering this, but it will make plain white t-shirts look a lot nicer!

      Delete
  11. Great little top. I like the idea of Sewing for 30 m minutes a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise. Yes, that wonderful 30 minutes of bliss a day...you must join in.

      Delete
  12. Another cute top you've custom fit for yourself! And love the way you're wearing it here, with your wide-leg pants. You are always inspiring with encouraging a few minutes each day devoted to 'something' project related. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - and thank you for your appreciation of my trying to encourage others to spend some me time sewing.

      Delete
  13. Hi Sarah Liz, I really like the top. It may be a basic but it's a good one, and perfect, as you say, for travel. I bet you find you're wearing it a lot. Trish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Trish, yes, it is perfect for travel and other wash and wear days. I think I should make a few more wash and wear tops and bottoms over the next twelve months.

      Delete
  14. A lovely looking little top, I've got this pattern and now I need to dig it out as I need some quick summer tops for work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon. Yes, this is a great pattern to make up for those quickly needed tops. It's flattering and classic in shape - what more could one want?

      Delete