Pages

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Misplaced Mojo - So a Remake and a Muslin.



I have been struggling with motivation in most areas of life for the last few weeks - mid winter blues, post cold or whatever the nasty thing was that went on and on for ever, followed by another that went on and on etc - or maybe it was the same one, followed by yet another cold.  So I am not surprised that I have been feeling flat.  I have not been interested in much at all, even sewing.  Of course, I do what is needed everyday, but without any sparkle.  You know, a bit like that sad glass of flat bubbly water.

When I am in the doldrums, I still sew.  I can be very slow, but honestly, it is better to do something than to sit around feeling sorry for yourself.  Mind you, I found that I made quite a lot of silly mistakes although I had made this pattern up before and and should have known what I was doing.

I used Simplicity 2599 as my base:


The neckline is raised of course, and the sleeves have been altered to a short sleeve. On this variation I shortened the sleeves again. This was because I was using a scrap of fabric I found in an Op Shop.
Just 85cms (112 wide) of poly/cotton gingham.  Lovely and soft and lightweight.  I could just squeeze the top out.  I had to cut the sleeves on the crossgrain, but you can't tell.  And I ran out of fabric for the facings, so I just used a scrap of leftovers from the last little top for the facing.

I made the button loop too big - don't ask me how, just a vagary of not feeling up to par.  I turned this into an advantage by fastening with a larger silver button - so now I have a feature button.



I managed to sew it in the wrong place the first time around (it was not a good week) and when I unpicked the stitches, managed to make a tiny hole in the facing.  I was not going to let this defeat me, so I sealed it with a bit of clear nail polish and then put a daisy on the top.  I think this is a real fun touch and it brings a smile to my face when I see it:


So much so that I had to put a little daisy on the facing of the tiny gingham check top (also Simplicity 2599):


Well, enough of the cute problem solving :).  I do like to share my mishaps with you, because I know all sewers have problems sometimes, and it is sort of nice knowing you have company.

Here are some quick views - again, photos did not co-operate again.  Oh, and reading your comments from last week, I see I am not alone in the dread of the blog photo sessions.






Now I have two wash and wear gingham tops.  Which is fine by me, because I tend to be a bit of a uniform type of dresser sometimes.  If you want to see the earlier versions of this top, you can find them by clicking here.

*****
My motivation was a little better today so I decided to make a muslin.  I usually do, although I don't always post them here.  But I thought maybe it is a good idea to actually show you what I do.  And why I do it.

I rather liked the look of   Simplicity 8053:


I rather liked the shorter looking top shown on the bottom right hand side.  This looks as though it sits at high hip level.  I saw myself in a nice, bright, cheerful little top.  I thought the v neck made a change, as does the jacket look of this blouse.  Now, I like to test any pattern quickly before I waste fabric.  So I used bits and pieces of unwanted fabric and quickly tried the pattern out.  I cut of the hem allowance, and also added the front facing to get an accurate view of what this top would look like.

Results:



I think this is not the most flattering look for me - and I haven't shown you this side view, for very good reason. Even Sarah Liz has her limits.  Some of you may think it looks okay, but to me it just sort of looks as though this is a cut off bodice, especially the front view.  Not a nice, snazzy, crop top.  It just looks wrong.

So this lot will go in the bin, where it belongs.  On the plus side, I have had the fun of making up this pattern and I know what it looks like.  I am also not about to waste a piece of fabric.  I don't even like wasting my less stellar fabric, because I find that this still makes okay house clothes and first runs of a pattern.

I will keep the pattern though, because I like the collared, long line version. Which will look better on me, and the dipped front will work better, because I have a pouter pigeon chest which lifts the fronts of all my garments.  But with the dipped hem you can't tell. Much easier having a dipped hem than fiddling with altering a pattern so the hemline is straight.

All for now, hope you all have a good week, and for those of you whose sewjo is waning, I hope it returns soon.

Sarah Liz

19 comments:

  1. Love the gingham tops - the other - oh well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the gingham's are great. But I'm glad I know what the other looks like on me now!

      Delete
  2. Love the gingham tops too and for some reason, this one especially. The little daisy makes a great back 'label' and can see why you wanted to add it to the other top too. Sometimes it's those little details that make a garment 'special'. As Spring heads your way, and as your wardrobe fills with pretty new things to wear for the new season and those nasty colds go away, hope your 'sparkle' returns. Sparkle is good. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - yes, this is my favourite of the two gingham tops as well. I think the fabric is a little nicer, and the larger gingham makes it much more snappy. I do like my little touches, you are right, they add something to a garment - even if they are added to hide a problem. I'm starting to feel better now, I think - no more colds, I hope!

      Delete
  3. You make me smile with the "Even Sarah Liz has her limits!". Sorry to hear about the winter blues. You cannot go wrong with a black gingham top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie - yes, b and w gingham is a classic, always a winner. Glad I gave you reason to smile - sounds as though you need a stress buster at the moment, and smiling is a stress buster :)

      Delete
  4. Gingham is a classic and love your little top, sorry that the other one didn't work but I have a very good idea why we didn't see the side view :) Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon - I agree, can't go wrong with classic gingham and a classic shell top. Yes, the side view is like that of many of us post mid life! Gradually feeling better, thank you.

      Delete
  5. I hope you feel better soon. I love your gingham tops- black and white is definitely a classic. You can wear them in so many ways. Hopefully as the weather gets warmer you'll get your mojo back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I am starting to feel better, thank you, and spring is around the corner, I hope - warm weather always improves the mood, doesn't it. And I love classic gingham as well. Can't go wrong.

      Delete
  6. Love the gingham and the top looks great on you. Sorry to hear youve been a bit down in the dumps and lost the moj0. Hope both pick up for you soon.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - we all get down sometimes, I think that is quite normal. It makes the good times better, if you can understand the logic :). And yes, this is a top that works for me - there will be lots more.

      Delete
  7. The top look great on you. Gingham is so easy to match with anything. Sorry to hear about the winter blues, hope you get your mojo back very soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana. I agree, and I also adore gingham, it's always smart to wear. Thank you for your well wishes, the mojo will come back, I am sure.

      Delete
  8. I love gingham check.. And I really like the pattern. I have made it several times..i must do it in gingham..
    Thanks for sharing . Love that you fixed your problem.. The daisy is adorable--very smart lady.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm sorry to hear you've been below par for so long but glad to hear you're starting to feel a little better and that your sewjo might be returning. I find it difficult to make up something that doesn't suit and I can't wear - a toile is the only answer for me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry to hear you've been below par for so long but glad to hear you're starting to feel a little better and that your sewjo might be returning. I find it difficult to make up something that doesn't suit and I can't wear - a toile is the only answer for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My sewing energy is flagging too. everything I touch is going wrong, silly mistakes or carelessness. So i understand how you feel. The gingham is nice though. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. My sewing energy is flagging too. everything I touch is going wrong, silly mistakes or carelessness. So i understand how you feel. The gingham is nice though. Xx

    ReplyDelete