Pages

Friday, September 30, 2016

Back Blogging Burda 6696 and Burda 6694.


I'm having an at home day today, you know, doing all those scintillating tasks like cleaning the bath and so on.  In between I do a seam or two of sewing.  And I thought I would also post knit two knit tops that were made some months ago, as wearable muslins. As I am very much at home today, the photos sort of reflect that.  Ordinary life sort of photos. Complete with my too short RTW pants that are worse than any me made pant I have ever made. Good for bath cleaning and that sort of thing though!

The first tip is Burda 6696:


I like the look of the pleated neck area in this top, but was not sure how the pleats would really work in practice.  Only one way to find out, and that was to try the pattern.  I found one of my Spotlight clearance knits - goodness knows what it is, it was labelled "cotton/polyester/nylon/spandex".  Take you pick.  I think it has some viscose in it, as it does wrinkle quite a bit, and it also has a softness about it.  There was a slight residue left when I burnt a piece.  It does have polyester in it as well, as it dries quickly.

I cut size 12 and added a small amount through the waist, as it had a very definite waist, and I don't.  I took out 1 inch (2 cm) in the bodice along  the L/S line, and took in the back and front neck area - my muslin from old t shirts indicated that the neck area was far too big for me.  I shortened the sleeves, and used some stretch interfacing along the neck facing area. The pattern did not suggest this, but I thought it was essential, or that neckline was going to grow and gape enormously.  I actually had to take in the CF seam through the chest area and seamed all seams at 3/8 inch (1cm approx) instead of the 5/8 inch suggested.  I also added buttons to the pleated area, because it somehow just looked wrong and pointless without them.

I found the pleating was quite bulky - one area had twelve layers!  I am not sure if it is my technique, but this is my finished pleating:


See how bulky this is - and the neck wants to sit away a little from my upper chest.  However, I don't think anyone but me will notice, so I am going to happily wear this top in any case.

Even though I do think the pleats look a little silly and not quite right.  But maybe I will get used to them:






That's it for Burda 6696.  I probably won't make it again, but I'm glad I tried the pattern out.

Now for Burda 6694.  I am actually wearing this top today, and the wrinkles reflect that - it's been tucked into my pants, with an old fleecy top worn on top (again, for cleaning baths and the like).

It's actually a favourite at home top because it is so comfortable. The fabric is soft and cosy, one of the softest knits I have ever worn next to my skin. I'm not sure what it is, again, another Spotlight special that was labelled assorted knits.  I think it's a cotton/polyester mix, judging by the softness, wrinkles and burn test residue.  It gets a slightly faded  look quickly, but that sort of adds to the appeal:


I love the high neck band - actually, the pattern is twice this width as they did not turn the band down, but just finished it.  I did not like the look of that at all, too high and didn't sit well, so I turned it down and made a band instead.  Just right - a bit of warmth without that double chin look you get with real polo/roll necks.

Oh, I haven't shown you the pattern so you know what I am talking about:



I made view A, but without the contrast lace insert.  I actually found the insert went in quite nicely:


And of course, in my usual fashion, I topstitched the edge to hold things in place and because I like the look.

I cut size 12 again (and yes, I made a muslin out of an old nightie... ).  I took out 1 inch from bodice and sleeve along the L/S line, and then a further .5 inch through the upper back area as the pooling in the middle of my back was more extreme than the first top I showed you.

I took a further .5 inch off the sleeve and bodice hems.

I found the neckband marginally too tight but it sort of goes on, and there is slight pooling off the fabric below the neckband.  Not a problem for a casual wearable muslin, but would be something I would address if making this for a really nice top.

Okay, some quick photos of my soft, squashy, worn and lived in top:




And this is a pattern I will use again.  It works, and I like it.  And, I can tell you, the dress works as well.

How do I know that?  Because I have made it :).  But that post will have to wait for another day...

And, I think that is quite enough for today, two blog posts in one is tiring to write, and probably tedious to read!

Wishing you all well,

Sarah Liz


17 comments:

  1. Hi Sarahliz,
    I am having one of those at home days too. So fun..lol But the kitchen/and bath has to be cleaned..
    I love the second burda top.. Pretty color and looks good on you. The first burda top with the pleating.. Not so fond of the pleats. Always great to try the new patterns, to see if you like them or not. Have fun sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - and yes, great fun trying new things, and usually I still enjoy wearing them, even if I don't like them!

      Delete
  2. The purple top looks, great. Good fit and shape. Well done trying the pleated top, it's fun trying things out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise - yes, it is a great shape. And the pleated top was still fun to make, you are right

      Delete
  3. I love your shorter hair & the colour of the first top.

    I am envious of you having a functioning sewing machine! And that you not only the time but the inclination to clean the bathroom...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I do recommend always having a cheap back up machine for breakdowns.

      And I had no inclination - but sometimes it just has to be done...

      Delete
  4. Wait... this looks like a whole new you Sarah Liz! And is that new hair too? The coloured tops are stunning on you. I especially like the "V" Hope you have enjoyed your "at home" day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ahha, Dawn - we shall have to see what unfolds with the new me! More in store...

      I'm starting to get to like the pleated top too!

      Delete
  5. Lovely tops! Have you tried to play around with the pleating on the first one? I find that some fabrics just don't want to behave the way the pattern says. Perhaps fewer but bigger pleats? The design looks too nice to give up on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Irene. Yes, sometimes fabrics are also unco-operative with pleating. And I could play with the top, and may do in the future - but there are more on my list that I prefer :)

      Delete
  6. I love your new hairstyle! Both tops turned out very well. The pleats definitely look challenging to make but you did an amazing job getting the fabric to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and yes, two really handy tops. I'm starting to like the pleated one now, so there you are!

      Delete
  7. The pleating does seem bulky -- could you save it? Less pleats or placing them elsewhere -- It is a rather lovely color on you. The purple top is perfect!

    Great new hairstyle! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie - the hair is a work in progress at the moment...and with this pink top, I'm going to wear and enjoy anyway - it looks better in real life, I think. I couldn't undo it - I always make holes in jersey when I do that! So wear it I shall :)

      Delete
  8. I like both tops, but really like the V-neck on you in these photos. The pleating adds an interesting sort of detail and I think the fit, particularly from the back, looks very nice! Nice new hairstyle too. Looks like we are seeing the beginning of a new Sarah Liz Sew Style?! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - and while I think there is something strange about the pleated top, I actually enjoy wearing it! Yes, I am playing around with my hair too at the moment, and as for a new Sew Style, watch this space!

      Delete
  9. Sorry, I am so slow at the moment! I like your purple maroon top which looks like a great pattern. Like you I'm not so sure about the ruched neck top, but maybe that is the colour as the purple maroon one really suits you. Maybe in a darker colour the other would look better. Looking forward to seeing the dress. Thanks for reviews on two interesting Burda patterns. TS

    ReplyDelete