When I sew, I tend to go through quite a process from concept to finished garment. Usually there are lots of hiccups and changes of direction during this time, but that's all part of sewing.
So, for the last two weeks, my sewing has considered of:
I will not be blogging about these muslins for some time, because, quite honestly I am a bit over these trouser muslins. But, I think I have worked out exactly how to alter a pattern to get something close to the fit I want. And to understanding the sort of styles that work for me. When I feel more motivated to revisit these trouser muslins, I'll share my process with you.
After I did the trouser muslins, I was fed up, so I quickly made up a muslin for the Lottie blouse. I had a lovely fabric find in an Op Shop, and the old fashioned texture on the fabric sort of went with the old fashioned look of the Lottie Blouse (by Simple Sew patterns).
And, this is the finished blouse, waiting for me to take photographs and to blog about it. Those of you who follow me on Instagram, already know about this blouse of course. I will take photos when the weather warms up - we are having a cool start to Spring, and I don't feel at all inclined to wear this from photographs yet. Model material I am not :)
(and yes, that is stash you can see hiding behind the blouse...)
The next job I tackled was to make a muslin of the Lottie Skirt. I don't really have a straight skirt pattern that works well for me, so I decided to try this one. It is actually a pencil skirt. I know pencil skirts do not suit me at all, so I changed the shape to a straight skirt. I have made the muslin, which sort of works, and now I will test it on some cheap cotton I have lying around in the stash, already washed:
Then I decided to do a muslin for a jacket that I have wanted to make for a while now - before it goes out of fashion. I had traced the pattern last year, so it was not too hard to quickly make up the muslin.
The muslin worked out nicely, but I am not sure what to make it in. So I have placed it in my box of completed muslins that are okay to go, or just need some adjustment. I put things away so that I am not overwhelmed by bits and pieces on the go all around me. Ialso put a note on the pattern, so I know what stage I am at ( you can see that in the picture above).
I also made a muslin for a dress that I really like:
I had a piece of lovely blue knit in the stash, and had fantasies of a rather smart dress. However, a few things concerned me:
1/ the dress has very short sleeves and is very fitted. It's a summer dress, and our summers are quite warm, so I was a little concerned that the fabric might be too warm. On the other hand, I loved the idea of this dress !
2/ The pattern states that the dress suits an inverted triangle or an hour glass. I am a rectangle. The dress is also fitted. I have not made a fitted Vogue pattern before so have no idea how it will work on me.
So, another muslin. I straight away worked out that the entire shape was too curved for me, so altered the pattern at the darts and side to add more to the waist. The front seemed very narrow, and the back quite wide. Now, I have a narrow back, and a wider front. The muslin confirmed all this. I haven't tried it on yet, but will later this evening:
That front barely meets. And I have decided that I don't like bright blue for this dress now. I think I will need to alter the front, add more ease to make the dress semi-fitted, and choose a new fabric. I think this light weight stretch woven will be perfect for a more relaxed dress that still has elements of the original:
So, there is a bit more work to do with this pattern, and a check muslin of course...I'll put this project on the back burner for now. I've put my pattern away, with, of course, a note to remind me of what I have done:
Then I rummaged through my catalogue of stash, because I was still wanting to make the New Look Jacket, and came up with a few more ideas:
From the top - marine blue cotton duck for jacket, then cotton wide leg pants, which will go with the jacket (as will lots of things in my wardrobe), then a black linen look fabric for a jacket to go with the last piece of fabric, shot cotton in blue and black - I have a Burda dress I love that will look perfect in this fabric.
Then I found this pattern which I think will work with the blue knit fabric that originally started this whole train of thought!
With the longer sleeves, this dress is perfect for cooler summer days. And will suit this fabric nicely- the colour is dramatic enough without the need for buttons, pockets and other details that were on the original shirtdress idea.
This is how I tend to conceive of my ideas. Sometimes of course, it is a matter of just picking a pattern and fabric, but more often than not, quite a process has happened in the evolution of my ideas! Mind you, I sometimes don't enjoy this process - seemingly never-endless muslin making can get really tedious sometimes.
I hope you enjoyed this tour of my sewing process... if you did, and want to read more about what I do behind the scenes with my sewing projects, please let me know.
Bye for now,