Pages

Friday, September 23, 2016

Behind the Scenes at SLSS...



Hello everyone,

When I sew, I tend to go through quite a process from concept to finished garment.  Usually there are lots of hiccups and changes of direction during this time, but that's all part of sewing.

So, for the last two weeks, my sewing has considered of:


I will not be blogging about these muslins for some time, because, quite honestly I am a bit over these trouser muslins.   But, I think I have worked out exactly how to alter a pattern to get something close to the fit I want.   And to understanding the sort of styles that work for me.  When I feel more motivated to revisit these trouser muslins, I'll share my process with you.

After I did the trouser muslins, I was fed up, so I quickly made up a muslin for the Lottie blouse.  I had a lovely fabric find in an Op Shop, and the old fashioned texture on the fabric sort of went with the old fashioned look of the Lottie Blouse (by Simple Sew patterns).


And, this is the finished blouse, waiting for me to take photographs and to blog about it.  Those of you who follow me on Instagram, already know about this blouse of course.  I will take photos when the weather warms up - we are having a cool start to Spring, and I don't feel at all inclined to wear this from photographs yet.  Model material I am not :)


(and yes, that is stash you can see hiding behind the blouse...)

The next job I tackled was to make a muslin of the Lottie Skirt.  I don't really have a straight skirt pattern that works well for me, so I decided to try this one.  It is actually a pencil skirt.  I know pencil skirts do not suit me at all, so I changed the shape to a straight skirt.  I have made the muslin, which sort of works, and now I will test it on some cheap cotton I have lying around in the stash, already washed:


Then I decided to do a muslin for a jacket that I have wanted to make for a while now - before it goes out of fashion.  I had traced the pattern last year, so it was not too hard to quickly make up the muslin.



The muslin worked out nicely, but I am not sure what to make it in.  So I have placed it in my box of completed muslins that are okay to go, or just need some adjustment.  I put things away so that I am not overwhelmed by bits and pieces on the go all around me.  Ialso put a note on the pattern, so I know what stage I am at ( you can see that in the picture above).


I also made a muslin for a dress that I really like:


I had a piece of lovely blue knit in the stash, and had fantasies of a rather smart dress.  However, a few things concerned me:

1/ the dress has very short sleeves and is very fitted. It's a summer dress, and our summers are quite warm, so I was a little concerned that the fabric might be too warm.  On the other hand, I loved the idea of this dress !

2/  The pattern states that the dress suits an inverted triangle or an hour glass.  I am a rectangle.  The dress is also fitted.  I have not made a fitted Vogue pattern before so have no idea how it will work on me.


So, another muslin.  I straight away worked out that the entire shape was too curved for me, so altered the pattern at the darts and side to add more to the waist.  The front seemed very narrow, and the back quite wide.  Now, I have a narrow back, and a wider front. The muslin confirmed all this.  I haven't tried it on yet, but will later this evening:


That front barely meets.  And I have decided that I don't like bright blue for this dress now.  I think I will need to alter the front, add more ease to make the dress semi-fitted, and choose a new fabric.  I think this light weight stretch woven will be perfect for a more relaxed dress that still has elements of the original:


So, there is a bit more work to do with this pattern, and a check muslin of course...I'll put this project on the back burner for now.  I've put my pattern away, with, of course, a note to remind me of what I have done:



Then I rummaged through my catalogue of stash, because I was still wanting to make the New Look Jacket, and came up with a few more ideas:


From the top - marine blue cotton duck for jacket, then cotton wide leg pants, which will go with the jacket (as will lots of things in my wardrobe), then a black linen look fabric for a jacket to go with the last piece of fabric, shot cotton in blue and black - I have a Burda dress I love that will look perfect in this fabric.

Then I found this pattern which I think will work with the blue knit fabric that originally started this whole train of thought!


With the longer sleeves, this dress is perfect for cooler summer days.  And will suit this fabric nicely- the colour is dramatic enough without the need for buttons, pockets and other details that were on the original shirtdress idea.  

This is how I tend to conceive of my ideas.  Sometimes of course, it is a matter of just picking a pattern and fabric, but more often than not, quite a process has happened in the evolution of my ideas!  Mind you, I sometimes don't enjoy this process - seemingly never-endless muslin making can get really tedious sometimes.

I hope you enjoyed this tour of my sewing process... if you did, and want to read more about what I do behind the scenes with my sewing projects, please let me know.

Bye for now, 

Sarah Liz

33 comments:

  1. I'm really interested to see these made up as I have two of these patterns. I was planing to make the new look pattern jacket in a ponte. I don't usually make muslins but use a fabric I'm not too attached to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be fun to share these in the next few months

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Not with things I should have been doing!

      Delete
  3. Love, love, love the tie blouse! A Lot! And I find it very interesting to read about your sort of behind-the-scenes sewing process. How you handle things that aren't working out so well, and how you control the clutter of projects scattered all 'round. But really, it's your always moving forward attitude, even when things might not be working out like you originally planned, that is inspiring. That blue fabric will be pretty in the Cynthia Rowley dress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - glad you enjoyed the post.

      Delete
  4. Wow Sarah! You are very, very organized! I like the notes you include with each pattern and that each project has it's own baggie. I am more of a pile maker myself, and always say I'm going to make notes for each garment, but never do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Star - I used to be a piler too, but have learnt over the years that I need to be organised!

      Delete
  5. I must write more notes to myself, so useful. Great post loved seeing your logic and thought process

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun Sarahliz.. I so enjoyed this post.. It amazes me, how patterns/fabric/and the final products go from start to finish..ha
    love the blouse.. Nice pattern.
    I made pillowcase dresses for my Granddaughters project, and it REALLY helped me, get back into the sewing mojo.. I have been going through my patterns/fabrics an matching things i want to sew .. Excited to be able to get back to sewing for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Judy - and you are so right. Enjoy sewing again...

      Delete
  7. The 4 trouser muslins remind me of myself. We do go through quite a process getting this sewing thing right. That is a gorgeous blouse Sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so interesting to see someone else's process. Muslins are tedious, but so helpful and I know you must do many fittings to get the lovely results you share. I am at a place right now in which I am a bit scattered in my sewing and I am working toward more clarity in my decision making. While I do have plans, I am waiting for cooler weather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, muslins are tedious - and I find transitional seasons are hard to sew in and for as well.

      Delete
  9. Sarah, I have always found that making muslins can be very tedious for me often bringing me to tears. So I am giving you a "Wow" for your muslin making process. I like your upcoming plans. Happy Sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Regina, they are tedious, I agree, but there are more tears if a beautiful fabric is ruined with me!

      Delete
  10. You are so organized! I enjoyed reading about your sewing process. The blouse came out so beautiful. I also think the blue knit will go well with the CR pattern. That's definitely a great pattern - I've seen it on a few blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and I can let you know that the CR dress is looking good already!

      Delete
  11. Absolutely love your organisation Sarah Liz, very impressive. And a lovely collection of patterns there, I am so looking forward to seeing these made up. The blouse is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You never cease to amaze me!! So many muslins -- your work always gets the perfect fit. Looking forward to seeing you in the blouse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annie - hope I can continue to do so!

      Delete
  13. You are amazing Sarah Liz, you made so many muslins. Please send me your energy :) Can not wait to see all the finished garments and your picture with the blouse :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muslins don't take too long to quickly sew - they don't have to be good sewing! And you have children to work around, no wonder you don't have much energy leftover

      Delete
  14. Crikey. You are so organised and methodical. I'm feeling a little ashamed of the chaos at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A wonderful insight into your process. I could ceratinly benefit from your organisation - I've lost the pattern instructions for the dress I need to finish by today! I'm looking forward to seeing your finished articles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne - and organisation is something I have had to learn, don't always enjoy!

      Delete
  16. A wonderful insight into your process. I could ceratinly benefit from your organisation - I've lost the pattern instructions for the dress I need to finish by today! I'm looking forward to seeing your finished articles.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the blouse. It's fun and flirty and feminine. You are so organized with your projects. I wish I could do that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely blouse - and I have to be organised, I have such a small space and get overwhelmed otherwise.

      Delete