Pages

Thursday, September 1, 2016

Sewing, Style and Spring Summer Ideas



Hello everyone,

A new season always seems to get the sewing ideas flowing again.  And I also want to change my style and sew garments that are a little better than the casual wear around the house basics I have been sewing.  Mind you, I am glad I have, because at least I have this part of my wardrobe under control - and it is never the most inspirational sewing, is it?

So, my ideas so far are to

1.  Keep sewing up new patterns

2. Tackle the stash - and sew up the stash that needs to go.

3.  Work out a new sense of style for my next style decade (I turned 60 last month, unbelievable!).

4.  Work out a new life direction that will work with the new life challenges the next decade will
     inevitably bring. There are a few arriving on the plate at the moment!

5.  And of course, a new sense of style should go with this new life direction (whatever it is!).

Well, that's flexible enough for me to decide things as I go along.

I may even sew more patterned fabric - as you know, I have concentrated on sewing very boring black and navy basics.   But look what I have been busy stashing:



Time will tell what that stash will become.  I plan a skirt out of the navy and white floral stretch cotton sateen, and a shirtdress out  of the red, pink, purple, green and black geometric poplin.

And this month I will also be taking part in September Sew for 30. You can find out more about this on Star Thread's blog: http://starsthreads.blogspot.com.au/2016/08/september-sew-for-30-2016.html.



My mojo has been low recently, so I thought this would be a good way to get it rekindled. Right now though, I have to go and get some dinner and help my husband with redressing a nasty cut he gave himself the other day.  He is also not well, so it looks like I am going to have to catch up some of
 today's 30 minutes tomorrow.  But I did do some sewing activities today -  marked a pair of pants that have been cut, and prepped the pocket pieces ready for sewing. Oh, and threaded the overlocker, adjusted and tested, and chose the thread that I will be using for sewing the pants.

One last thing before I go. For those of you that were interested in knowing more about the recent Style course I did, I shall share that with you over the next few weeks.  It didn't cover any new ground for me, but probably was beneficial for those new to the whole area of style. More later though...

All for now, back Saturday.

Sarah Liz

18 comments:

  1. Good to have plans - I find they help stimulate action by providing some direction. Your fabric looks very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a very attractive stash there, Sarah Liz, and I would love every one of those pieces. I very much look forward to seeing your new direction, and admire your plan very much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to seeing you sew with some more patterned fabrics. Good luck with your sewing plans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy New Decade, Sarah! I look forward to seeing your new style direction. I turned 55 this year and I also chose to take my sewing in a new direction. Let's have fun together in this adventure!?! Happy sewing my friend. Oh, I'm in "Sew For 30" too because of you, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy new decade!

    The fabrics look lovely and will a wonderful counterpoint to your very stylish neutrals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope your husband is on the mend soon.

    You picked out some really great prints that will fun to sew and wear for spring and summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Decade! I can't wait to see the shirtdress out of the geometric print - that will look great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even those few things you were able to do today, is a step forward. Over these years of knowing you and reading your blog, that is what you consistently talk about and it's helped tremendously with keeping me going when my energy level is low. I hope your husband feels better soon and you both are back on a good road. And.... LOVE your new stash purchases and cannot WAIT to see what you make!! You will look so pretty in those fabrics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely fabrics, exciting times. I am particularly keen to see the geometric pattern made up into a shirt dress. I hope your husband recovers soon. I'm going to commit to the 30 mins a day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely fabrics, exciting times. I am particularly keen to see the geometric pattern made up into a shirt dress. I hope your husband recovers soon. I'm going to commit to the 30 mins a day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are some very pretty fabrics. Looking forward to hearing about your style course.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those are some very pretty fabrics. Looking forward to hearing about your style course.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am loving those lovely bright, patterned fabrics and cant wait to see what you make. And i agree with your 60 statement.... unbelievable!
    Also looking forward to hearing about the course x

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope your husband feels better soon. I really like the fabrics you've been buying. It'll be great for you to add different prints and colours to your wardrobe. I can't wait to see how your style will evolve.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Firstly, Congratulations on entering a new decade. I know I found being a 'young oldy' quite a revelation. Secondly, I love the look of those fabrics, particularly the floral with orange flowers! Looks an exciting sewing opportunity! :-) I'm glad your sewing mojo is returning. Now, have you seen mine lying about anywhere? I desperately need it....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Best wishes to J too. Hope he feels better soon. Sorry, for second message, the Bloglovin website froze again. TS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks T, for both messages. Will pass on your best wishes to J.

      Delete
  17. Sending prayers for your husband.. Hope he feels better soon, and the cut heals soon.
    Best wishes with your new sewing style.. and congrats on your 60th birthday..[You dont look 60].
    I will be 62 in October.. Life is going so fast.

    ReplyDelete