Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2016

Back Blogging The Perfect Purple Ponte Dress - Burda 6694




I have been busy this week with replacing my old car and cleaning my old one ready to sell.  So I have had limited time to sew this week.  Just as well I have a dress to blog about that I made earlier this year before winter set in.  I'm not sure why, but I never got around to blogging about it. It probably had something to do with lack of time.

The pattern is Burda 6694:


Before I made the dress I made a top (version A ) .  I was planning to insert the higher neck into this dress, but after making it up, realised it would be far too tight.  So I made the square neckline insert, only raised it as it was far too low on me.

The fabric I used was a thick ponte (polyester, viscose and spandex mix). It was not too stretchy and certainly was thick enough to skim the body nicely.   It was purchased from Spotlight - I was lucky, and found just enough in the remmant bin with a price of about $2.50 :).  Just right!

I made some alterations to the pattern - the sleeves were shortened 1 inch at the L/S line and another 1 inch came off the hem.  I shortened the front 1 inch along the L/S line.  I altered the back as I have a narrow and straight back - 1/2 inch at the upper back and through the sleeve, and 1/2 inch at the L/S line.  This removed most of the pooling that usually occurs in my middle back without this alteration.  I added about 4 inches in length and added a back vent.  As I have already mentioned, the insert was made deeper - two inches.  Any more than that, and the dress would not go over my head.

The neck is bound by a strip of knit bias.  I did not use the ponte, as it was far too thick.  I used a piece of leftover cotton jersey. I did widen the bias strip by 5/8 inch, as it was just not wide enough to accommodate the thick layer of ponte:







I added a feature button at the bottom of the insert.  And as for sewing, I just used a slight zig zag stitch - I find that my overlocker does not like to sew thick knits together, so I don't argue the case. I also like the look of the slight zig zag !

As my overlocker balks at very thick knits, I decided to bind the armhole seam with stretch lace:



One day I will pull out my old Babylock machine (about 25 years old) and see if that likes thicker knits.  I just keep forgetting...

Now for some quick views of this very simple but very nice looking dress:





While I am happy with this dress, I notice I still have the dress dipping at the back and rising at the front.  Have you noticed that the Duchess of Cambridge also has this problem?   I think it may be something to do with small backs and bottoms, so, if her dresses act in this fashion, I think it is okay if mine do!  Until I can work out the solution, that is.  I may need to take out more through the back, but I don't like to overdo things, or you end up with the opposite problem.

I'm thrilled I mad this dress because I did not have a practical and smart dress that was easy wear and easy care.  While I don't wear dresses much, I do feel much happier having one in the wardrobe for those occasions when I need it.

Until next week, everyone, wishing you a great week ahead,

Sarah Liz

22 comments:

  1. I agree this is the perfect dress! I love it and you suit it. Deep purple too! Mmm. I have the opposite problem - my skirts go up at the back. I know that some people just add to the bottom for this but that doesn't work with plaids or patterns. So I suppose you take away and I add a few inches below the waistline tapering to side seams? Not sure how much to add/take away. Idon't suppose it's much. Is that what you do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree this is the perfect dress! I love it and you suit it. Deep purple too! Mmm. I have the opposite problem - my skirts go up at the back. I know that some people just add to the bottom for this but that doesn't work with plaids or patterns. So I suppose you take away and I add a few inches below the waistline tapering to side seams? Not sure how much to add/take away. Idon't suppose it's much. Is that what you do?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A very stylish dress. I find the square neckline quite flattering on you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely dress on you! Simple, yet very stylish. Having a dress to suit any occasion is a must in the wardrobe. (at least I think so)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! And that looks like a great knit!

    On the fitting issue; one of the reasons I love Burda is it fits my full bust and butt well. I think if you take a small pinch through the waist and a wedge at the butt you'll solve the balance issue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is definitely a go to dress Sarah. Nice fit too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice dress! Always to have a very practical sturdy go to dress that will never fail. Love your short hair.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This dress is just wonderful on you. It's perfect in every way. And the detail is superb. Love the little button at the bottom of the insert. Hope you get lots of wear out of this; it's practical and classy and being jersey, comfy to wear. Win win all round!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely dress - possibly you when you stand "straight and tall" you arch back a little?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I do love this dress, Sarah Liz. Beautiful style and looks easy to wear. Enjoy it, you look great :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your dress, Sarah Liz. It is very elegant. When you solve the problem of the dipping hem, please tell me:) I have the same trouble and have always blamed my lack of bottom.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks lovely on you! Good job. Jan Brandt

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great dress, fab shape and the neckline looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Perfect dress. Looks fantastic on you.. I love the square neckline too.. Happy sewing.
    and best wishes on finding your next car.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nearly caught up! Great dress Sarah Liz! I really like square necklines. I'm sure it will be really useful! TS

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a great looking dress. I love the square neckline which I find very flattering on people. What if you do a small sway back type adjustment and not add to the bottom...maybe it needs to be lower than the waist? Flat seat adjustment it's called... I have the complete opposite problem :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do love this dress too! It compliments your figure beautifully and the lovely neckline design sets it apart from simply being an ordinary knit dress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is so professional and beautiful. I love the fabric. The dress looks really great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You are right. This dress is wonderful on you. I love sewing with ponte knit as well. It's comfortable and elegant looking. I love the alterations you have done.

    ReplyDelete