Some fast and furious sewing with a quick and simple pattern eased the frustrations of a very tedious paperwork week. Such a satisfying sew - a lovely new dress in the minimum of time.
I used Burda 6732:
I bought this pattern for $5.00 this year during one of Spotlight's pattern sales. While the dress is too short, I do like simple kimono sleeve dresses as they are nice and cool in the heat. I also like empire lines. I did not like the length, and was a bit worried about the shape, but decided that I would like to see how it worked in real life. The pattern recommends cotton fabrics, linen and linen blends.
The fabric I used was a cotton furnishing fabric, probably for curtains, once again from Spotlight. I often check the cheap cottons in the furnishing section because some of them are really nice. I saw this and instantly knew it would work for the Burda dress. A couple of metres of cotton tape saw me rushing home to wash the fabric and make the dress. The fabric was $2.99 per metre, just the right price for a dress that I was not sure about.
Of course, I did a quick muslin of the upper part of the dress, to check the neckline first...
I made the neckline slightly smaller by using a 3/8 inch seam allowance instead of 5/8 inch. I added 1.5 inches to the length. I decided that I did not want the turn back cuff of the short sleeve version, nor did I want the longer sleeve of the blue dress. So I extended the sleeve of the dress to make a short sleeve. The blue dress has pockets but they are huge - very deep and wide, and they wrap around the side seam to the back. I made smaller pockets and attached only to the front. Unfortunately, the photos that showed the pockets turned out blurry (isn't that always the way?), but if you look hard, you can see them. You'll have to look hard, because my pattern matching was pretty good, says she modestly.
If I make this again, I would drop the CF of the neckline a little as it is a bit snug to get on and off (and yes, I did test to make sure I could before finishing the rest of the dress). And I would put some elastic in the back and attach the ties to this, so that the dress can be tied firmly but still have some give.
Okay, the pictures - and I have found a spot to stand that is just right - I moved to the right of where I normally stand, and it seems to be in line with the optimum path of the lights, if that makes sense. It does tend to throw shadows especially around my face - and I look a strange colour sometimes- but at least you can see the sewing.
Well, I thnk this is a great dress for summer - and at about $20.00 total beats the cotton dresses in my local boutique, which set you back quite a bit more. And are no nicer and don't have pockets!
Next week I should start getting back to normalwith blogging. This year has been quite awkward, very disrupted and not at all enjoyable. I still have quite a bit of backlog to work through with our problem accounts, but I think I have broken the back of the problem. I tend to just get on with it, so I have not been good at replying to comments. I also sensibly pull back from some aspects of social media when life has other more pressing demands. So I hope to be getting back on track soon - and I haven't forgotten that quite a few of you are waiting to see the Cynthia Rowley dress. Soon, I promise :)
Take care everyone,