Pages

Saturday, November 19, 2016

Curtains For Sarah Liz - Burda 6732.



Some fast and furious sewing with a quick and simple pattern eased the frustrations of a very tedious paperwork week.  Such a satisfying sew - a lovely new dress in the minimum of time.

I used Burda 6732:


I bought this pattern for $5.00 this year during one of Spotlight's pattern sales.  While the dress is too short, I do like simple kimono sleeve dresses as they are nice and cool in the heat.  I also like empire lines.  I did not like the length, and was a bit worried about the shape, but decided that I would like to see how it worked in real life.  The pattern recommends cotton fabrics, linen and linen blends.

The fabric I used was a cotton furnishing fabric, probably for curtains, once again from Spotlight.  I often check the cheap cottons in the furnishing section because some of them are really nice.  I saw this and instantly knew it would work for the Burda dress.  A couple of metres of cotton tape saw me rushing home to wash the fabric and make the dress. The fabric was $2.99 per metre, just the right price for a dress that I was not sure about.

Of course, I did a quick muslin of the upper part of the dress, to check the neckline first...

I made the neckline slightly smaller by using a 3/8 inch seam allowance instead of 5/8 inch.  I added 1.5 inches to the length.  I decided that I did not want the turn back cuff of the short sleeve version, nor did I want the longer sleeve of the blue dress.  So I extended the sleeve of the dress to make a short sleeve.  The blue dress has pockets but they are huge - very deep and wide, and they wrap around the side seam to the back.  I made smaller pockets and attached only to the front.  Unfortunately, the photos that showed the pockets turned out blurry (isn't that always the way?), but if you look hard, you can see them. You'll have to look hard, because my pattern matching was pretty good, says she modestly.

If I make this again, I would drop the CF of the neckline a little as it is a bit snug to get on and off (and yes, I did test to make sure I could before finishing the rest of the dress).  And I would put some elastic in the back and attach the ties to this, so that the dress can be tied firmly but still  have some give.

Okay, the pictures - and I have found a spot to stand that is just right - I moved to the right of where I normally stand, and it seems to be in line with the optimum path of the lights, if that makes sense.  It does tend to throw shadows especially around my face - and I look a strange colour sometimes- but at least you can see the sewing.






Well, I thnk this is a great dress for summer - and at about $20.00 total beats the cotton dresses in my local boutique, which set you back quite a bit more.  And are no nicer and don't have pockets!

Next week I should start getting back to normalwith blogging. This year has been quite awkward, very disrupted and not at all enjoyable. I still have quite a bit of backlog to work through with our problem accounts, but I think I have broken the back of the problem.  I tend to just get on with it, so I have not been good at replying to comments.  I  also sensibly pull back from some aspects of social media when life has other more pressing demands.   So I hope to be getting back on track soon - and I haven't forgotten that quite a few of you are waiting to see the Cynthia Rowley dress.  Soon, I promise :)

Take care everyone,

Sarah Liz

17 comments:

  1. I like this on you. It's a great shape and looks cool and comfy and what a great buy for that fabric. The print is terrific. Great spot for the photos.. they are much brighter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a perfect Summer dress, and suits you very well. I can see the difference in the light too, a good spot for photos. We are still working on finding the perfect place to do 'fashion' pics at our place too. I like the look of that Burda pattern, and must check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a terrific silhouette for you and your changes make the dress even cuter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful dress! You look so very lovely in it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This really suits you. It feels good when you can whip up a success in just a few hours

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy you got a chance to sew , during this rough work week..
    The dress is adorable, and looks so good on you..
    happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks very nice on you. Great score on the furnishing cotton, it is lovely. I'm glad you are getting on top of the problems. Hard going. Nice to see you back and best wishes for a good year in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect pattern matching and a very comfortable summer dress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It looks so good on you! I love that shape and the cut-on sleeve! And you did do an excellent job on the matching, I had to search for pockets!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I really love this dress on you and the fabric is so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the shape of this dress and the print suits the pattern very well. This will be great for summer.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a great shape for Summer. I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great fabric and cute dress. And yes the photos are much sharper.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a lovely dress! I also love the new lighting on your pictures☺

    ReplyDelete
  15. You've made another really cute dress! This looks fantastic on you! Love the fabric and silhouette..... great pattern/fabric match. Completely understand about pulling back when 'life' gets in the way. And please never worry about timely commenting. We all understand that it's hard to keep up with everything, when some areas of our life need more attention. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. P.S. Re: timely commenting.... as you can tell by my comment post date of Dec. 3 to your posted post date of Nov. 19!!!

      Delete
  16. Oops, I'm as late commenting as Lisa is. Anyway,mthe dress is great and airy and cool I should think. I really like the fabric. I wish a visit to the curtain department in my fabric shop yielded such treasures. I would just end up looking like a bunch of hydrangeas or a posy of roses! :-) TS

    ReplyDelete