Pages

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Last Post of 2016 - Voile skirt, Burda 6937.


  1. I've promised to show you this skirt for weeks now, and I thought I better get on and do so before 2016 comes to a close.  It's a short and simple post, which sort of suits the slightly holiday state some of us are in.
  2. This is a simple elastic waist skirt - so easy to sew, but it looks very effective, not too bulky around the middle and comfortable to wear.
  3. I used Burda  6937 and made version C:

  4. I cut size 10-12, and as you can imagine, it was a simple sew - a separate waistband, side and back seams, and a turn over twice hem (5/8 inch, 1.5 cm allowed). I used a cotton voile, purchased online from The Remnant Warehouse.  I lined it with off white muslin, which has been in my stash for maybe 20 years, so it was about time some of it got used!  The waistband was made from poly cotton, just a bit stronger than voile. Elastic threaded though - the method I always use in preference to sewing it in, because you can undo it and adjust it if need be, or even put in a longer length if need be. Oh, and I used French Seams on both skirt and lining - a nice finish, and quicker than rethreading the overlocker!
Quick front, side and back views:



  1. Very simple and very effective I think.  I can wear it with a woven top :

  2. or a simple T-shirt around the house:

  3. Well, that's it for 2016.   I do have two more garments to show you, but they can wait until next year - I'm far too lazy at the moment to even think about photos!  
  4. So, I'll take this opportunity to wish you all the best for the New Year, and I'll see you again early in 2017.
  5. Sarah Liz
REPLIES TO YOUR COMMENTS ON THE LOTTIE BLOUSE AND SKIRT (CLICK HERE)

Louise, Mandy, Irene, Judy and Patricia, Diane (Remembering Oz) , Dawn, Keisha -thank you - and yes, Irene, I will probably make another version with set in sleeves - or a very similar style. And tour agreement that the square look would suit a different figure type - but I'm with you all that it is perfectly wearable and it will be worn lots, especially in our upcoming hot weather.  

Keisha, Anne, Judy, Patricia, and Lisa - I'm glad you  have had similar thoughts on the comment function of Blogger.  I don't know if my solution will work, but I'm hoping in time something will evolve that is workable.  I don't mind playing around to find out what might work.  Keisha, I have the same thoughts about Disquis. 

Short and simple replies this week, seeing I am really in holiday mode and haven't much energy - plus I have to quickly make up a shirt muslin for something I promised my husband - his Xmas gift.  It's the second muslin, so you can imagine how unenthused about that I am! 

Bye for now, Sarah Liz

13 comments:

  1. I like the skirt and the fabric. Good make, useful. I think the width is good; I don't like circular skirts and this gives a little fullness without any bulk. I have another couple of posts before the end of the year, so I'll wait to wish you a happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This skirt is fabulous.. I love the fabric you chose.. The style looks so pretty on you.. You should make more of these... Happy New Year and Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this skirt, Sarah Liz. Looks so easy to wear and pretty. Wishing you a Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look fabulous! I especially like this pretty skirt paired with the first top you show. Also prefer elastic through a casing for skirts and pants for the very same reason (other than the leggings I just made!) My problem is that I keep thinking I'll have to go back in and DECREASE the elastic when.... you know, all the exercising kicks in (ha!) .... and to-date..... that has never happened! :) Anyway, I have so enjoyed getting to know you through all these years and look forward to seeing what you make and where your style journey goes in 2017! Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely a great use of this fabric. I love how the skirt turned out. I hope you had a wonderful Christmas and wishing you all the best for 2017. I've certainly been on holiday mode and haven't had much time to read through the blogs. I look forward to seeing more of your makes in 2017.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great skirt I would not have thought to use voile for a skirt. Lining it was genius.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a perfect skirt, cool and easy wear, but very elegant too. I really like your fabric choice, so versatile.

    ReplyDelete
  8. With a lining, using voile for a skirt opens up many possibilities. Your skirt looks cool and comfortable. =) Happy new year my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This skirt is gorgeous on you - the pattern, the colours, the shape - all perfect. I particularly like the skirt with the sleeveless. One can go to a wedding in this outfit!

    Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gorgeous fabric. Hope you have a Happy New Year Sarah Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A cool looking and versatile skirt. It is very satisfying when you get to use aged stash too. Happy New Year Sarah Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very pretty skirt and it will be so cool to wear. Happy New Year to you and your husband.

    ReplyDelete