Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2017

Going Green


 This month I have been feeling a little on the wan side, so I decided to take a break from blogging and concentrate on doing jobs that needed doing - accounts, tax, all sorts of boring things. And I took a few days off to concentrate on sewing, which did me some good.  I thought I would quickly show you what I have made.

Last year I purchased about 3 metres of backing cotton for quilts.  It's quite a low grade cotton, and I normally wouldn't buy it, but at $3.00 per metre for a 260 wide fabric, I thought it would be ideal for wearable muslins and pattern testing.  And I knew the colour was coming into fashion.

Now, I know quilters must buy large quantities of this sort of fabric all the time, but I found it rather daunting looking at a cumbersome block of fabric - and it was block like, this cheap grade cotton was very fibrous and cardboard like in texture.  So, I decided to sew it up all at once.  And I love the results - a few much needed bits of colour to pep up my bland wardrobe.

The jacket I love.  I have had the following pattern for an unlined cotton or linen jacket  in my stash for some years, and thought it would work for this fabric:


And it did!

I also made a pair of pants:


Using a Lisette pattern, again from Butterick:


I know a few of you are interested in my thoughts on this pants pattern, and I will enjoy sharing them with you in March.  I will tell you though, that I like this pattern.  I did have to alter it to suit my shape, but it was a nice pant to make and looks nice on.


A skirt - I used an old McCall's pattern which has a front fold and split, which you can't see clearly on this photo. You can see the wrinkles, because I haven't ironed it yet!  I adapted the pattern and added slanted pockets.


And, last but not least, a princess seamed dress, which looks absolutely awful on a hanger, but absolutely fantastic on.  I guess that is better than fantastic on the hanger, but awful on.  And, many fitted dresses do look awful on hangers - they are made to be worn and filled out by the contours of the body. That's why I take photos of the garment I make being worn by me - because it shows what the garment really looks like on somebody.  



And the pattern used was another McCall's pattern:


Again, fitted and modified a little, but this was a really nice dress to make up and is on the list for remaking one day...

As for the comment situation, I tried installing Disquis, but there is some sort of incompatibility with Blogger and Disquis, and I think I have to recode bits of the Disquis installation in order to make things work.  Now, sometimes I am in the mood for that sort of headache, but more often not.  I have headaches enough with problems to solve in my everyday life, and I don't need more!  So for the time being I will stick with good old Blogger comments.


That's it for now, be back blogging soon.

Take care, 

Sarah Liz

35 comments:

  1. Sarah Liz - I really love the jacket . Colourful pants seem to be on trend too and of course a basic pencil skirt and fitted dress never go out of fashion. I hope you like the pieces and get to wear them as you have made a lot of effort. It is a good idea to use cheaper fabric for patterns you are not sure about. Bonus if it turns out well and you get to wear them. Have a great break

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Janine - yes, I thought I could get away with this fabric for trousers with colourful pants being in vogue. And the colour suits me. Cheaper fabrics are not only good for testing patterns, but also very wearable on an everyday basis as you don't worry about them.

      Delete
  2. I love all the pieces and it's such a great colour. I particularly like the dress. I bet they all look great on and it does not look like low grade cotton at all. Cotton is so nice to wear... can't wait to see the wearing photos. Unfortunately all those boring jobs need to get done.. and so far the fairies are not showing up at my place either!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder who has access to the magic fairies - if I find out, I will ask them to send some to you! And I agree, the colour is fantastic, looking forward to showing you the garments on me.

      Delete
  3. A complete wardrobe, in this year's Colour of the Year. I am always amazed at your industry Sarah Liz and all of the garments look so perfect. The jacket particularly appeals to me, and I bet it looks fantastic on you. Can't wait to see the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Patricia - industry waxes and wanes - I just needed some time to sew so I took it from blog time! Yes, a little pep up wardrobe in an on trend colour!

      Delete
  4. Very nice pieces, Sarah Liz. The jacket is a great wardrobe piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Regina. I think the jacket deserves to be made in a nice fabric one day.

      Delete
  5. The pieces look fabulous.
    I had some colourful fabric I used for toiles and it made me much happier not to mention they are wearable whereas calico may not be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Anne - yes, I agree, calico is not wearable after making up, that's why I like cheap cottons. However, some things do need calico so you can see the style lines and any problems that need attention.

      Delete
  6. Wow Sarah you have been very busy making all these pretty things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Faye...that's why I was quiet!

      Delete
  7. Wow Sarah you have been very busy making all these pretty things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like that fabric. All of the pieces look great and don't look like cheap cotton at all. We too are experiencing "Life" in all it's "annoying, taking away from my sewing time" way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Star, yes, this would be a colour that appeals to you. Life, isn't it annoying - and if you are like me, sewing time is needed to recharge so you can better deal with Life!

      Delete
  9. All those lovely green pieces. You have been busy. I particularly like the dress and look forward to seeing it on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dawn - isn't it a great colour - you will love all these when I "model" them.

      Delete
  10. You have a lot of nice pieces that you can mix and match. The dress is my favorite. Tough with those daily annoyances get in the way, especially taxes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Diane - thank you - these will also mix with lots of other garments in the wardrobe. And I hate the daily annoyances, but like everyone else, have to do them!

      Delete
  11. Glad you are back. The garments are lovely, and such a cheerful green to boot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'm surprise how easy to look at this green is!

      Delete
  12. What a lot of sewing you managed to accomplish! All the pieces are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Irene - I just decided to do the whole lot and get the green out of the way!

      Delete
  13. Love that jacket! And can't wait to hear your comments on the Lisette pants as I have that pattern too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Catherine - the jacket was on my make list for ages. And the pants are a simple make...

      Delete
  14. You've been very busy.These all look great. It's amazing how many garments you were able to make from the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. And the fabric was very wide, and I did think hard about how to lay it out!

      Delete
  15. WOW...you have really accomplished a lot.. Love the jacket and the pants.. All of the items turned out really good.. I just love the lisette pattern line.. Happy sewing.. Hope you have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - I'm having a little sewing break now! Yes, I find the Lisette patterns are good as well, not all to my taste though.

      Delete
  16. LOVE them all. You have been busy. Looking forward to see you wearing them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hana - Looking forward to showing you as well!

      Delete
  17. Wow! Great color -- when I worked (very briefly) in a fabric shop I know just the quilting cotton you are referring to -- it is rather cardboard like -- does it soften in the wash?

    Looking forward to hearing about the Lisette pattern -- I have it but have not attempted it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Annie - yes, I am sure you have come across this cotton. I wouldn't make something flowing in this, it just wouldn't work. But it does for these garments.

      Delete
  18. Very gorgeous outfit! I love all, especially the jacket is stylish and gorgeous. If I find the green fabric at crafts shop, I would like to get it:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love all the garments with this cotton. It doesn't look cheap in the photos at all! I can imagine you being able to now reuse these tweaked patterns on fabrics that you actually love.

    ReplyDelete