Finally, the Lisette pant that some of you have been patiently waiting for me to blog as some of you have the pattern and want to know my thoughts. I'm using the green craft fabric that I bought in quite a large quantity (it was $3.00 per metre for 260 wide - a quilt backing cotton) from Spotlight last year. It's perfect for these pants, and and I love them!
Back to the pant, not my feelings about this pair. For those of you who do not know what pattern I am referring to above, it is Butterick 6331.
The Lisette pant is a classic tapered pant with some elements of jean styling in that it has side pockets and back yoke.
Now, a few of you are wanting to know if this pattern works out nicely. This is very hard to answer, in that it worked for me, but it may not work for you. For a start, it has a straight waistband, and this might not work well for those of you who need a contoured waistband. I am a straight figure type, and have very slim hips and legs, so a straight waistband works for me. The basic slim and tapered leg also works for my shape. But that is not to say that the pattern worked, certainly not straight out of the envelope. I did have to make quite a few alterations.
The pattern is designed to sit one inch or so below the waist. Now this is always tricky, because you have no idea where the waist line is. I need trousers that sit at my waist or they will slide down, which is really inconvenient, because you spend all day yanking them up, which is not a good look. So waisted pants for me. I used size 8 hips and size 10 waist, because I thought that if it was designed to sit below the waist, then this would probably work for my 12 waist. I did this by adding 1.75 inches through the torso of the pant. I used size 12 crotch depth. I altered the zip length and added length the to zipper facings. I shortened the pant at the hem by about 1 inch. The finished length is longer than that shown in the picture, but that is what I wanted. I'm 160 cm tall (about 5'3 and a bit) for those of you who would like to know my height.
I also used my standard under bottom alterations, which take out some of the fullness, but not yet all. More work needed here, but still, these fit better than any RTW, which were always saggy and baggy on me.
As I never wear a shirt tucked into pants, I omitted the belt carriers on the waistband. I also added elastic to the middle of the back section of the waistband - I try and make waists a little larger than needed and then add elastic so that I can fluctuate in weight and not have to worry about pants fit. It also helps with movement - there is some give when you bend over, with the pants otherwise snug enough to stay up.
The following picture will show the elastic insertion and the back yoke section. The picture after shows the front of the pant, with pocket and false fly front. I used a trouser hook and press stud as waistband closures.
(I'm not sure what the water mark looking thing is on the photo, believe me it is not water - it's something the camera has cleverly done with no input from me!).
Now to show you the pants:
For those of you with an eye to detail you will see that there is slight tension at the pocket area - I will add extra here when I make the next pair of pants. The crotch is also slightly too low, so I will raise that next time. I did not bar tack at pockets and zip because I did not have much green thread and Spotlight did not have any more - I needed to eke it out across the rest of the planned garments out of this fabric. Spotlight still does not have any, weeks later....
Still, I am not really going to do much more than poke a tissue into the pockets, and I never need to open zips down to the the bottom in any case, so I should be okay just like this. The pattern did not suggest bar tacks.
That's it for now, I do hope I am keeping up with your blogs. I try to.
Next week, I shall blog the jacket:
I really like this jacket and can't wait to tell you about it next week.
Wishing you all the best, wherever you are,