Pages

Saturday, March 11, 2017

The long awaited Lisette Pant - Butterick 6331.


Finally, the Lisette pant that some of you have been patiently waiting for me to blog as some of you  have the pattern and want to know my thoughts.  I'm using the green craft fabric that I bought in quite a large quantity (it was $3.00 per metre for 260 wide - a quilt backing cotton) from Spotlight last year.  It's perfect for these pants, and and I love them!

Back to the pant, not my feelings about this pair. For those of you who do not know what pattern I am referring to above, it is Butterick 6331.



The Lisette pant is a classic tapered pant with some elements of jean styling  in that it has side pockets and back yoke.

Now, a few of you are wanting to know if this pattern works out nicely.  This is very hard to answer, in that it worked for me, but it may not work for you.  For a start, it has a straight waistband, and this might not work well for those of you who need a contoured waistband. I am a straight figure type, and have very slim hips and legs, so a straight waistband works for me.   The basic slim and tapered leg also works for my shape. But that is not to say that the pattern worked, certainly not  straight out of the envelope.  I did have to make quite a few alterations.

The pattern is designed to sit one inch or so below the waist.  Now this is always tricky, because you have no idea where the waist line is.  I need trousers that sit at my waist or they will slide down, which is really inconvenient, because you spend all day yanking them up, which is not a good look. So waisted pants for me.  I used size 8 hips and size 10 waist, because I thought that if it was designed to sit below the waist, then this would probably work for my 12 waist.  I did this by adding 1.75 inches through the torso of the pant.  I used size 12 crotch depth.  I altered the zip length and added length the to zipper facings. I shortened the pant at the hem by about 1 inch. The finished length is longer than that shown in the picture, but that is what I wanted.  I'm 160 cm tall (about 5'3 and a bit) for those of you who would like to know my height.

I also used my standard under bottom alterations, which take out some of the fullness, but not yet all.  More work needed here, but still, these fit better than any RTW, which were always saggy and baggy on me.

As I never wear a shirt tucked into pants, I omitted the belt carriers on the waistband.  I also added elastic to the middle of the back section of the waistband - I try and make waists a little larger than needed and then add elastic so that I can fluctuate in weight and not have to worry about pants fit.  It also helps with movement - there is some give when you bend over, with the pants otherwise snug enough to stay up.

The following picture will show the elastic insertion and the back yoke section. The picture after shows the front of the pant, with pocket and false fly front.  I used a trouser hook and press stud as waistband closures.





(I'm not sure what the water mark looking thing is on the photo, believe me it is not water - it's something the camera has cleverly done with no input from me!).

Now to show you the pants:







For those of you with an eye to detail you will see that there is slight tension at the pocket area - I will add extra here when I make the next pair of pants. The crotch is also slightly too low, so I will raise that next time.  I did not bar tack at pockets and zip because I did not have much green thread and Spotlight did not have any more - I needed to eke it out across the rest of the planned garments out of this fabric. Spotlight still does not have any, weeks later....

Still, I am not really going to do much more than poke a tissue into the pockets, and I never need to open zips down to the the bottom in any case, so I should be okay just like this. The pattern did not suggest bar tacks.

That's it for now, I do hope I am keeping up with your blogs.  I try to.

Next week, I shall blog the jacket:


I really like this jacket and can't wait to tell you about it next week.

Until then,

Wishing you all the best, wherever you are,

Sarah Liz

28 comments:

  1. I am making pants using a Sandra Betzina course on Craftsy and she says you can only get rid of 70% of the baggy bottom as you need to sit down. Yours are looking good and my first pair came out well too but I have a very different shape from you so I like the shaped waistband and princess seams in her pattern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you are quite right about the need to sit down - a bit of bagginess will always occur, it's more a matter of where! Curvier shapes do well with princess seams and contour waistbands.

      Delete
  2. Nice pants. This is a very flattering style on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, I think I will stick to this style for a while.

      Delete
  3. Love the pants. They look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good looking pants. And what a great review of this pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job on these pants.. Fit looks very nice.. And I love this green fabric..What a fantastic find.. Looking forward to hearing about the jacket..
    I love lisette pattern line. Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy. The Lisette patterns, I agree, are good.

      Delete
  6. Thanks for the review. I have this pattern ready to go for a winter pair of pants, good to read of your experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Paola, and good luck. I always suggest a muslin first.

      Delete
  7. They're looking good. I like the idea of the elastic part to the waistband. I must think about incorporating that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. Yes, I've done elastic for years - it might be considered a bit frumpy, but really, it's not anyone's business but ours what we wear, is it?

      Delete
  8. These look great. Nice fit on you. Interesting and informative review too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dawn :) I'm glad you enjoyed the post too.

      Delete
  9. These look really nice on you, especially the color. Looking forward to hearing about your jacket. Looks like you have a good mix/match mini wardrobe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Diane. Mind you, I won't be wearing all the green garments together, I'd look like a leprechaun! But they all go with my basic navy and black things, and white, of course.

      Delete
  10. It is fascinating to read how you make the adjustments Sarah Liz. I have so much to learn! The pants look great on you, really beautifully fitted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia - and the learning goes on, believe you me!

      Delete
  11. what a great idea to add elastic at the back. My waist fluctuates in size daily so I tend to avoid tight clothes. looking forward to the jacket. You've created a great suit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Louise. Yes, if you have a more straight shape, the waist line is a come and go thing. Elastic is the best!

      Delete
  12. These are so nice and I can't wait to read the jacket review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review of this pattern. This looks like a good pattern for a beginner like me. I still haven't made pants for myself. I really like how yours turned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Most pants are quite straightforward- it's just getting the shape and fit right that is the difficult bit.

      Delete
  14. Love them! Your alterations worked perfectly and you got a fantastic fit! These could be your next T-N-T pants pattern. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - and you are right, there will be more!

      Delete