Pages

Saturday, May 6, 2017

A New Top for Sew Merry May, Simplicity 8216.


I've been having a strange life over the last few months and it has affected my sewing time quite a bit.  But on Thursday, I decided to just have a day to myself to sew.  And I worked on my May garment for the Make a Garment a Month project.  Our theme this month is Sew Merry May, and I thought this lovely cheerful fabric was Merry enough. The fabric also reminded me of the sort of fabrics I liked years ago as a teenager.  And the flowing style was also reminiscent of teenage memories.

The sewing of this top, though, was anything but Merry.  The fabric is a slippery rayon twill like fabric, and it misbehaved the whole way through.  Plus my attention was not good - if I have had things in real life that are draining, I find that it takes me a while to fire up my sewing brain again.

But, with lots of sighing and unpicking and what not, I got there!

The pattern I used was Simplicity 8216:



I had previously done a quick toile of this top.  I usually use size 8 around the arm, neck and shoulder area, and then go out to a 12.  I haven't made many Simplicity garments, and found this approach to size was wrong as the 8 was far too small. So I cut out a size 12 in all areas.  I think Simplicity paterns are going to fit me well with little alteration.

I measure the top ( I made version C) and found it very long - more tunic length, although the picture shows it to finish at hip/crotch height.  I am 5'4", or about 162 cms, so not over short.  I shortened the top by about 3 inches /10 cm.

As I knew the fabric I was working with was going to be a little difficult, I decided to omit the cuff and use an elastic casing instead at the bottom of the sleeve.  Sleeves are usually far to long on me, so I thought that by doing this I would have the sleeve finishing at about the right point.  I made the casing too deep, so edged it, which I think looks good. Then my elastic wouldn't fit, so I found another which happened to be softer which is just perfect for this sleeve finish:


I also added an inside yoke - the pattern just uses a single piece so seams are exposed. The pattern had a facing for the back neck but I thought that I would get annoyed at seeing the exposed seams with a facing above it.  I wanted a nice, neat, finish, plus I thought the double yoke would help to brace this drapey blouse- more body at the shoulder for it to hang from.  I interfaced the lining yoke at the neck edge.


I don't use the Burrito method as I find that a bit tedious - all the rolling, when with a yoke this deep you can just get right in there and sew by going through an armhole.   Much simpler.


I used the front facing and sewed that into the yoke - and realised later, that I had made a mistake - the pattern had the tie coming right down the front.  But when I thought about it, I prefered my version as it comes straight from the neck /facing join and that is already low enough for me.  So if I make this again, I am going to repeat my mistake.





The hem was just a standard 5/8 inch /1.5 cm turn twice and stitch sort of hem:



Disaster nearly struck as I was finishing this garment - I was very careful overlocking the armhole seam, flipping the sleeve neatly out of the way, or so I thought.  I was just threading my ends through, when I notice - I had just caught the sleeve into the overlocking.  It didn't look as though I had cut the sleeve, so I carefully unpicked the overlocking - and this fabric is dreadful to unpick, if you catch a thread it pulls dreadfully.  I got back to the caught bit, and released that.  I had pulled and torn/cut a thread, but as it was right under the armhole, I knew it would not be noticed. I blobbed some clear nail polish on the thread and area under it - just a small blob.  That will stop any further damage.

Of course, then I was upset, so I had to give myself a good talking too, and the top and I had to make friends with each other again.  Today, all is forgiven, and I am very Merry about this top.







And it even works nicely with my serious looking glasses, which I wear on serious sorts of occasions:



Oh, and I do plan to wear this over a black t-shirt.  I have some with a lower neckline, which I will wear under this - I am wearing a high neck one today and notice that it doesn't quite work.  I do need a layer under this, because the key hole is just a bit low for my liking.  I also get very cold, so need the extra layers.  

That's it for now, and if any of you want to join our group, do email me, stylishsarah251@gmail to join the Facebook group (you need a Facebook account) or if you are on Instagram and want to take part on Instagram, you will find me here .


Bye for now, and wishing you the best of sewing luck this week.

Sarah Liz

15 comments:

  1. Oh dear. I'm glad you managed to avert total disaster! I cut through my trouser front so didn't manage to avoid. Pretty top and the fabric looks merry indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun top. I need to think what would make me Merry in May.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a pretty look for you. The color and print are so becoming and the fit is perfect! I sympathize with you on the fabric - sometimes I just bin a rayon project, then retrieve it later...it's so shifty!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very merry top indeed. This turned out lovely Sarah Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a merry top and fits you so well, too! Definitely worth all the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dont know why, but i often find that patterns to get you to do an inside yoke anymore. I can never sew a yoke on a garment without one. well done for persevering with this as its really lovely. The fabric is most certainly merry, it fits like a dream and whats more, it looks fabulous on you. Hope you get a lot of mileage out of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the little details that you ahve made to this top. It's very vintage looking with that fabric and style. Lovely top!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always think a shirt back yoke should be lined - in fact it has only been recently that I have come across patterns which don't do this. Your fabric is so Merry, and pretty too, and makes a wonderful top. That was a great save with the overlocker - I have had the odd similar experience, but not always so neatly mended!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very Merry. Lovely, Nail polish to the rescue!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah, the hungry serger, I know that moment too well. Nice save and lovely shirt. I make sure to line my yokes too, especially when they are longer and need that extra support.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like Jane's description of "the hungry serger." Those of us with sergers have no doubt experienced the same greedy machine behavior! I'm glad you were able to save your top. I also agree that adding a second yoke gives some structure to slippery rayon. =) Very nice SL.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have a great blog. With the BloggerContest.com you are a candidate to win with your website or blog, promote your web page, win prizes and promotions. With the support of our sponsors via we organize our blog competition for the first time in 2017. You can learn more about participation from our website.
    You can join, the applications are ongoing.


    Web : http://www.bloggercontest.com
    Mail : contact@bloggercontest.com
    Pbx : +440694802050

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice fitting shirt, Sarah! It looks great on you. I love the way you styled it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really love this on you, beautifully done inside and outside. Very merry top ❤

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how it turned out, Sarah. The fit is great too. Very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete