It's been a couple of weeks since I last blogged. Suffice it to say, real life needed attention, and there has been little time for blogging or social media.
Whenever I have a full plate of responsibilities, I tend to choose easy sewing projects. And when we had a cold snap (it has been quite cold for Newcastle) and concurrently Spotlight had a sale of a knit that I have been watching all winter, I put the "easy sewing" and "knit I want" and "it's cold and I want a warm dress" together and decided to make a warm, woolly looking knit dress.
I have always wanted to knit a dress, but I don't think I will get around to that for about a decade yet, so this dress also addressed that reality.
Before I continue with this post about the dress, though, I just want to reply to some comments that some of you left on my last post:
This was a Burda Miss Petite pattern. I am a petite, and Anne asked if this pants fitted me well. The answer is that they do, much better than the normal sizing. And Catherine and Irene mentioned products to stop Fraying. I have tried Fray Check, and Fray Stoppa, and found that they washed out! So, in places that don't matter, such as the flaw found inside the pants pocket, I just dab on clear nail polish. I'll try other brands and see if I can find a better quality product. Ebay often seems to have all sorts of sewing goodies, so I will look there, instead of Spotlight.
Back to the post:
The fabric I used was a very spongy and thick knit, a mix of polyester, acrylic and wool. It was originally priced at $49.99, which was a bit too much for me, but when it was reduced to half price, I swooped.
I looked through my patterns for something simple to make and settled on this Burda pattern:
It's a loose tunic top, and I thought that it would work as a dress. I chose size 10, with finished bust measurement of 38inches. I thought that with the bulky seams, and with wearing things underneath, this would give me the fit I wanted - not too tight, not too loose. I just extended the side seams of the pattern to dress length and added side splits (which were also on the tunic). I always add a button at my side splits for days when I am more vigorous in my strides:
(I also made the neckband much wider than the pattern stipulated - this chunky knit needed a chunky sort of neckband).
Anyway, after a few frustrations, and a little more time than I expected - but not nearly as much as handknitting a dress :) - I am now the proud owner of a smart, warm, woolly knit dress. I love it! Even if I am not smiling much - I am really tired today after finishing the quarterly tax business yesterday. Mind you, the photo's turned out a bit fuzzy too, so maybe it doesn't matter. Anyway, you will get the idea of the dress, I hope. I've kept the pictures small, because they are too blurry otherwise.
Now, I purchased 1.45metres of this knit, and there was a bit left over - next week I will tell you what I did with that....
That's it for now,