Pages

Friday, August 18, 2017

A Very Naughty Knit indeed - and another Kwik Sew 3766 top.



This is going to be a fairly short post today, mainly because I somehow wiped out some of my pictures. And I have a sort of modus operandi - finish the garment, take photos (not my favourite thing), blog it, and move on to the next project.  So, I don't have much to share except for the back story and the finished garment.

On the plus side, I seem to have sorted out my camera problem.  I was getting poor, out of focus, fuzzy pictures.  My camera is supposed to be set on Automatic, because I am not someone who has any sort of interest in photography. DH suggested that maybe the setting had been accidentally altered.  I think this was the case, so photos may now improve again!  Not promising though...you know me and my thoughts about taking blog selfies!

 just made up a batch of unruly sweater knit, I decided it was time to make a simple little t-shirt out of a remnant of cotton/lycra knit that I had stashed.  Only it didn't quite go that way.

Things started well enough - I chose my old faithful pattern Kwik Sew 3766:




I have made plenty of these before - all posts can be found here.  It looks so different, and fits so differently depending on the knit I use.

This knit was a four way stretch cotton with lycra (3%).  It was a .80 by 150 wide remnant piece, priced at $2.00 per metre, original price $24.99.  From good old Spotlight.

I preshrank the material, but the selvedge was bright orange. Although there was no obvious bleed (I stood with the dye fixative ready, but it was not needed) - later I found some light orange marks.  So I had to work around those. So intent was I on cutting the main garment, I forgot about the neckband, mostly because I usually use a rib.  Luckily, when I raided my stash of rib knits, I found a perfect colour. This was quite a fortuitous mistake, because I think the solid rib band looks fantastic and makes this garment.  It also holds the neckline nicely, as the fabric was very stretchy.

Sleeves were cut to the length I could cut them - they are not the short  length shown in the pattern.

The other issue, and it was a big one and nearly had me stopping the project before I started, was that the horizontal stripe was not horizontal. The vertical stripe was quite vertical, and ran along the rib of the knit.  So I cut of course using this line as my "grain line".  But the horizontal stripe did not go at 90 degrees, it ran at an angle uphill, or downhill, depending on which way you look at it.  I had photos of this, but they are the ones I have somehow lost.

So, then I had a dilemma.  I decided to push on and work around the problem.  I thought that if I could get the hemline on an angle, that would visually distract from the problem.  And with a small amount of ruching on one side- the short side, the folds from that would make the angle hem look like it was meant to be:






The back shot is an action shot - I had just finished moving the screen and my camera indicated it was about to go off - I hadn't quite got into position!


And if you look at the hemline - which is straight, it's my ruched side pulling things up - you can quite clearly see those stripes are not horizontal.

So that is it.  I am glad I persevered, because I rather like my  funny little knit top:


Once again, if you look at the above picture, the fold of the hem is on the cross grain.  The stripes are not on the cross grain.

I am so glad that I only purchased a remnant piece at $2.00 per metre.  I would have been very cross to have paid $24.99 per metre for a fabric whose print was not accurate.  I'm always wary with printed patterns.

That's it for now.  I'm starting to perk up again, as life returns to a new normal.   I hope to get my blogging routine back on track too!. Thanks for your patience and for continuing to read my blog.  It's much appreciated.

Bye for now

Sarah Liz

19 comments:

  1. I thought you had made an intentionally angled top ! It looks good, a bit different from usual. Yes I would have been cross too to pay full price , you definitely expect top quality at that price point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janine - yes, you do not get top quality for top price at a certain chain of sewing store in Oz!

      Delete
  2. I love that fabric Sarah Liz but I too would have been annoyed to find it not printed on the straight. However you have made a terrific little top from KS3766, a pattern I also have had for years and years. Sometimes it works well for me, other times mysteriously, things go quite awry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia - I think the fabric one chooses is very important in making up KS3766.

      Delete
  3. What a great top! I really like it! You saved the fabric well by thinking asymmetric and the contrast ribbing pulls it together well. So glad to hear things are perking up your way. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - yes, the contrast band makes this top.

      Delete
  4. I noticed the ruching but not the angle on the hemline. Isn't it funny what the eye "sees"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine - it was the principle of what the eye sees or doesn't behind the idea of the ruching and contrast band.

      Delete
  5. Very smart top. I love the asymmetrical look and it was the perfect solution for the off grain print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - we sewers sometimes have to get quite clever with our solutions don't we?

      Delete
  6. I like it - and great from a remnant esp with an inspired solution to its issues.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne - the benefit of a remnant is that you don't worry too much about a fix!

      Delete
  7. Lovely fabric. The top turned out great. You can definitely wear this one with just about anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - yes, it is a lovely top, and I can't wait for our weather to warm up here so it gets some wear :)

      Delete
  8. Nice top, Sareh! I wasn't interested in that pattern but I love it. Thank you for your great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good pattern for a very basic t-shirt

      Delete
  9. This is a super cute top it looks great on you and your changes for the off-grain have worked perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job on fixing your cute tee.. Proud you got it done.. Love the color on you.

    ReplyDelete