Pages

Saturday, September 30, 2017

Back to Basics - Trousers. New Look 6216.



Hello everyone,

I took a week off blogging last week as I was not feeling well.  I have one of the autoimmune rheumatoid disorders, and from time to time have flares.  Probably why I was very tired and irritable when I was away - more so than usual.  Not only do you get pain and stiffness, but also cognitive interference - I could not remember how to thread one of my machines! My husband (who is a Medical Doctor and I often feel a bit like the female actor in Doc Marten!! ) even gave me sick leave the week before last.  I am improving this week and was able to work again. I guess this is one reason I have done the #sewphotohop challenge on Instagram - better to post that to sit there sore and sorry!  Normally I am too busy to do a daily challenge - I always fizzle in Me Made May, but have thought of a way to do this next year...

But I digress...back to sewing and these pants.

 Sewing was hard work, but I have managed to make two pairs of very simple elastic waist trousers. Boring as, and very simple but just right for a slightly befuddled mind and sore body to tackle.  A seam a day got a pair made each week.   I made a pair each of black cotton broadcloth and drill  trousers - fabric purchased from good old Spotlight.

These will be everyday basics for wearing at home.  You can do all your chores, sew in them, and look reasonable all at the same time.  A change of top and you can go out in them.

I used a pattern that I have made up before. New Look 6216. My navy broadcloth pair  are  still going strong and can be seen here.




 A basic pattern, pockets and elastic waist in a casing.  The pattern shows a drawstring, but I never bother with those because I wear tops over pants and don't want a lump over my tummy where the drawstring would tie up.  Or tails dangling, which always annoy me and end up getting caught in things.

I cut size 8 and these are plenty large enough on me. I didn't need to alter anything, except for shortening by 1inch/2 cm and by doing an underbottom fold.

So, I will just show you the photos, because there is so little to say about the making.

The first set of photos are the pants made in cotton broadcloth. I look rather unsmiling, but that was still when I was in my most unwell period:





And this set is of the black drill pants. With more smiles as I am starting to feel better.  Pain gone, just seedy and slow:










Well, that's it for this week, I am off to catch up with chores.  I also have lots of back blogs to post - oh, and one day, a post on my initial foray into pattern drafting.  More next week, but before I go, a taste of what's to come:





Bye for now

Sarah Liz

20 comments:

  1. SO sorry to hear you have not been well. Hope your feeling better real soon.
    Love that pattern.. Simple but perfect for everyday life. Love the upcoming tops/jacket.. Look forward to hearing about them..
    Happy sewing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy - and yes, everyday clothes are what we need.

      Delete
  2. My Mum has rheumatoid arthritis so I really feel for you as it is so debilitating and thanks for the insight that there is cognitive fuzziness... I didn't know that. Today I'm out of sorts... very Doc Martin so I feel you there too. I love your simple pants and the fact that you state exactly what happens... sew, work, jobs.. change top and go out, exactly what I do. I normally see someone out when I do that and of course I have threads where I didn't notice before. Oh well at least I'm productive ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Years ago it was thought not, but latest evidence is that this is the case. And yes, I live a very ordinary life, and am not ashamed to say so. I am glad you appreciate my honesty!

      Delete
  3. Oh and I like the look for the new things to come particularly the offset button jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry you've been under the weather but glad you're starting to feel better. Nice fit on the pants, it's always good to have a few basics to work with. Look forward to what's ahead--looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine - and I am glad to have found your blog.

      Delete
  5. So sorry you've been ill--anything that disrupts sewing is serious and needs to be dealt with! Glad you're feeling better. The pants look great--is the shirt off the same pattern?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and I agree - sewing disruption is severely disliked. No, the shirt is not off this pattern, although I have made it and will again one day.

      Delete
  6. Hi Sarah Liz. These pants look great! Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well. I have been participating in the sewphotohop too. I started out strong but life has once again interfered so I have slowed down lately. Very annoying!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Star. Yes, life has a habit of interrupting pleasure. I just make sure then to prioritise leftover time in one direction - sewing!

      Delete
  7. You make such great fitting pants. Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great design for comfy but stylish Summer pants. As ever, your fit looks perfect. So sorry to hear you have been ill, and I love your solution of a seam a day to keep the sewing rolling along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patricia - honestly, I think most of my sewing is the seam a day sort of thing - I rarely get blocks of uninterrupted sewing time.

      Delete
  9. So very glad to hear you are feeling better. Your pants look fabulous and, as always!, love that pattern. Very much looking forward to hearing about the other things you have made. You've made a little capsule wardrobe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - yes, it's a great little patter, isn't it. I have your email and will reply to it sometime this week.

      Delete
  10. These pants fit you well! They look comfy and stylish. I would love to make mine like yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - this is a great pattern for casual trousers - and this look is quite in at the moment. Much easier to make than very fitted trousers.

      Delete