Pages

Saturday, October 14, 2017

Back Blogging: The Saved Top, Artwear August.



Hello Everyone,

Yes, I am looking pretty pleased with myself. That's because this little knit top was a save from a garment that I made that I did not really like, and that at the last moment I cut a hole in while trimming back the neckband seam.  Yes, quite accidentally, but deep down I was quite pleased because I would not have to wear a top I did not really like.

The original plan was to make a Marcy Tilton knit top, Butterick 6218:

Image result for butterick 6218


Image result for butterick 6218

This was also my challenge top for " Make a Garment a Month Artwear August ".

(For those of you that don't know, Make a Garment a Month is a monthly sew-a-long that I facilitate both on Facebook and Instagram. ).

I planned to use a leftover piece of black combed cotton jersey, a small piece of purple combed cotton jersey living in the stash, and I purchased a small piece of midnight blue combed cotton jersey ( all combed cotton from Spotlight).

I made the colour block version of the top.  I cut size 8  - and the finished measurements for that were 40 inches bust - in a knit!!!  The neck shape was really strange - a semi circle front and back.  I always make sure the neck fits over my head - and test the band before I sew it on as well.  Let's say it was a firm fit, unlike the look in the photo.  Maybe this was because I cut a small size, but I have never had a problem like this before.  As it was, I found the top way too voluminous and didn't really like the tail at the back.  I was relieved to finish it, and was trimming away the excess fabric after finishing the neckband the pattern's way - and I hate this method - when, snip, I accidentally cut the fabric of the garment.  

Secretly relieved that the top was now ruined, so I would not have to wear it, I pondered what to do next.  You see, I hate wasting fabric.  I looked at the pieces, and thought I could recut the front and keep the asymetrical look and button band. I recut the back out of the rest of the black leftover fabric, along with the sleeves. I used my favourite T-shirt pattern, Kwik Sew 3766.



 I added blue sleeve bands, recut from the top  to tie the garment together and make a three quarter sleeve for spring and autumn wearing.  

I also became very familiar with my coverstitch with this garment, using it wherever I could.  Except the new neckband, cut from polycotton ribbing.  I overlocked this on, and then zig zagged the seam down.  I am not yet confident about doing neckbands with the coverstitch, I will need to do some practice runs first.


Close up of mock opening :


Inside the hem - narrow two stitch coverstitch - and I managed to even cover the hem!


Sleeve band - I used the coverstitch for the seamline double top-stitching effect and for the hem:

The buttons - five happy buttons, I always re-use the buttons from my husband's shirts.


And now, pictures of me wearing it, as usual, a Front, Side and Back view:








I think this is a smart looking knit top, much better for me because it is much more my style.  Only, I would not wear a longer sleeve top like this with thongs - I took all my back blogging picture on the same day, and it was quite warm.  I just wanted to get the photos done, and as you all probably realise, I only show the garment, not how it would be worn, or "styled" as they say now, in my everyday life.  I really should start taking some real life pictures of me made garments being worn.

That's it for now, next week I will be back to show you what I did with the rest of the fabric along with leftover pieces.  

See you then...

Sarah Liz

12 comments:

  1. Lovely! Those buttons add such a nice detail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic save!!! I love the colorblocking and the buttons are very nice.

    (A 40" bust on an 8?!?)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new top.. You did a really good job with it. Looks nice on you too.[Love blue with the black]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your top has come out beautifully, Sarah Liz. You are so brilliant at saving the day. The bizarre sizing of patterns these days drives me nuts, despite checking size before purchase. You really never know what you will end up with. Love the detail of men's shirt buttons, a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well what a great save firstly. I love the button reuse and placement which really elevates this top. Great work with the coverstitch too. They are a bit daunting but you do get better and it's such a quick way to hem if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great save! That is such a charming top! Looks perfect on you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant save! This top is great, I love the button detail and you suit it so well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing the details! I would love to make this pattern! It's really good for autumn. I love your fabric combo too:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the mock opening. This is definitely your style and it looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I really really like this top! You made a great 'save' in switching gears to this pattern and your coverstitching looks very well done.

    ReplyDelete