A few weeks ago, I finally made the Beryl Bomber Dress by Named. It was on my to do list for over 12 months, and I was determined to get this dress made before Bomber styles go out of fashion.
Before I post anything about the dress, an update on why I have not been blogging much recently. The first is that I have become very busy over the last 12 months, and have rather a lot on my work and personal plate. So blogging has taken a back seat. The second is that the nature of blogging may well have changed. It seems to me that many sewers now communicate via Instagram. So I am finding that not so many people read or comment on my blog. This does not bother me per se as I do no need for validation or for being popular. But I do think that this change in the media landscape warrants a different approach by me towards blogging. It will become more a record now of my makes and progress and less geared towards comments and communication.
And as it will be more of a personal record, I may only take photos of garments on a hanger, with any notes that are relevant should I wish to make the garment again. And some of you may like that approach.
(edited 13/10/2018 - you will find a picture of this dress being worn at bottom of post. ).
And that is what I decided to do with this dress, or it would never get blogged at all.
So, the details. This is the Beryl Bomber Dress, by Named:
The dress is a very simple shape. The measurements and sizing seemed accurate, but it is sized for taller wearers. I removed length above the waist and repositioned the casing. I also wanted a longer dress, so I added length at the hem. I wanted short sleeves as this will be a spring/autumn dress. I did not interface the knit collar as recommended because I wanted this to stay soft. I also used a fabric casing for the elastic instead of ribbon as per the pattern.
I made the dress in a cheap craft cotton - I only paid about $2.00 per metre. So this dress was both my toile and a wearable muslin. I followed the instructions which were quite straightforward. The zip was faced so it has a nice clean finish.
This was a straightforward make. I have already worn it and I know that when I make the proper version it will probably be better in a stretch fabric - I can feel the sleeves will need that. I have a lightweight stretch wool that would work, but I also need to find a better quality rib knit for the neck - the poly/cotton blends do pill. As do the acrylic knits.
Until next time....