Fitted Blouse on Me - for PR contest.
This month Pattern Review sewing.patternreview.com has been holding the fitted blouse contest, which will end on 31st March 2013.
I am not a lover of entering contests but I did want the motivation to make myself a fitted blouse and use both a pattern and fabric that were in my stash. I have not sewn many things over the last few years (too many other things in life needed to be done, so like many people, things I actually enjoy doing got crossed of the list. I am attempting to put sewing firmly back on the agenda where it belongs. So this contest was more a matter of challenging myself.
As some of you already know, the blouse I chose was Vogue patterns V8833.
|Pin tucked voile.|
|Back view showing collar.|
I think that is the end of my modelling career! I better think about the review now.
Pattern description: Vogue 8833. Fitted, wrap blouse has collar band, princess seams, forward shoulder seams, mock front bans, tie ends, narrow hems and top stitching.
Pattern sizing: (8-10-12-14-16) (A-B-C-D cup options). I used size 12/B
Did it look like the drawing/photograph on the pattern envelope once you finished sewing it? Yes.
Were the instructions easy to follow: Yes.
What did you particularly like or dislike about this pattern: The sleeve heads were too large and needed modification. I think that for the price that is paid for a Vogue pattern this is a bit of a disappointment. The tie belt was also very long - I shortened mine by about 8 inches. Other reviews have also commented that the sleeve head is too large and the belt too long. I think I would have struggled with the sleeve head quite a bit had it not been for the experiences of the other reviews on this pattern.
Fabric used: Pin tucked voile, with a firm weave cotton/nylon mix for the collar band, under collar and front facing to add some body and stability in these areas.
Pattern alterations or changes you made: I altered the back above the princess seams by folding in about 3/8 inch (just under 1 cm) to fit my narrow back. I also took a tuck of 3/8 inch (just under 1 cm) out of the top section of the front seam to shoulder so that the shoulder seam matched that of the back. the back. I made the princess seams at the back narrower and took in a little extra at the back waist. I raised the waist slightly at the side seams as I am short waisted. I also needed to take the shoulders/sleeve in from 2 inches (6 cm)below shoulder - I drew a new curve here.
I added extra to the hem allowance and made a 1 and 1/4 inch (2.5 cm) double hem. I also added a little more at the sleeves and made a double hem of 5/8 inch (about 1.5 cm).
Would you sew it again? Yes, now that I have fixed the sleeve head problem.
Would you recommend it to others? Not with the sleeve head problem- this blouse is called a Vogue Easy Options blouse, and I think that for anyone with limited experience a sleeve head problem like this would not know how to solve it. And Vogue is not a cheap pattern range so this sort of problem would not be expected.
Conclusion: A very nice straightforward blouse to make, with the exception of the sleeve head problem.
I also have my own criteria for every garment I sew. It has to go with 2 or 3 other garments. This blouse certainly does - I have lots of unworn white camisoles and t-shirts that have been begging for something nice to go over the top of them. I also have black and navy stovepipe pants that I can wear with it.
I can wear this blouse for all sorts of occasions - day or weekend. I do like clothes that can go form the office, to dinner, to the shops, without having to change - mostly because I am busy and don't have time.
Tomorrow I will attempt to post the review on to sewing pattern review's site - it will be my first review, so I hope I manage to work it all out - I usually do that as I go.
Well, I think that is all for tonight - and thank you everyone for your very lovely comments on my earlier blouse postings.
Sarah Liz :)