Me Made May 14 Summary and A Trouser Muslin...
So, on Day 1 of the weekend I wore:
T-shirt is Kwik Sew 3766 - I have made a number of t-shirts from this pattern:
The trousers are McCalls 5239, a classic pants style by Palmer Pletsch:
I also wore the same trousers on Day 2 of the weekend, again with another t-shirt made from K
The trousers are looking quite worn by now - stretch always seems to get baggy, and there are a few wrinkles. But as I was going to sit in the car for a few hours on the drive home, this didn't really bother me - they were going to look far worse at the end of it.
So, my two black and white t-shirts came in handy for a weekend away - sometimes I like to eliminate choices and just make sure everything goes together - that way you can travel light.
I think that is it for Me Made May this year - next year I shall try to participate a little more - it takes time to have a comprehensive Me Made Wardrobe :)
*****Back home and there is work to do - isn't that always the case when you steal a couple of days away ! So I have not done much sewing. I did make my trouser muslin up though. I am sorry, the pictures are very "at home, not to be seen, busy doing housework and sewing". I'm sure you have sewing moments like that as well :). I'm also overdue for a haircut, so my hair is quite unruly at the moment!
The pattern I am trialling is Burda 6982.
I haven't made a Burda pants pattern up before, so of course I start with a muslin. I was wanting these trousers to be a formal pair, and had images of a nice looking classic pant. Well, I found that the pants were not quite going to be what I wanted - which is one of the reasons you make a muslin.
The back looks quite good:
I did find the seat a little uncomfortable. Most alterations tell you to lower crotches, scoop out crotches for flat bottoms and so on. I have always assumed I have a fallen flat bottom, given my age, but I have changed my mind. I don't carry much weight, so I haven't got a bottom that has fallen much at all. It's small, and still pokes out a bit, but it isn't fleshy around the bottom area. So I undid the back seam and let it out re pinned it until it was comfortable. Then I transferred all alterations to the pattern, and this is what I discovered:
I think I have finally solved some of my problems with fitting trousers :).
I also marked the shape of my sides - I really am quite a straight figure type:
Now that I have worked all this out, I am going to put the pattern away for now - they are not the trousers I envisaged. I think they would look lovely in a velveteen - the softly tailored look would work with velveteen. And be a great day or evening trouser. I do have some in my stash, but really, I don't want to make them this year. I will revisit this pattern sometime in the future. They are not right for the job I had in mind.
That's it for now, off to look at what you have been up to now :)