My new PJ Pants...
It was back to the boring basics this week. Last week I tried to avoid this project and aimed for some instant gratification by purchasing a RTW pair of PJ pants. I know, I know, quite sacrilegious. Once home, my sinful RTW purchase revealed itself to be a poor choice:
Aside from the irksome mismatch of stripes - just look at the distorted hang of this rear end. It was also distorted at the front.
Well, I took these back to the shop, issued a large and long sigh, raided the stash:
And decided to make something. With zero enthusiasm I have to admit. This came under the category of needs must sewing, and I really didn't want to have to make them! AND, I don't like sewing with knits yet.
I'm sure we all have sewing moments like this :)
The fabric is not a great fabric - it was something I purchased very cheaply at Spotlight a few years ago - $2.00 a metre. I think it is a poly cotton - it's quite soft and drapey. Good for practicing sewing with knits.
I used a pattern with minimal seams - McCalls 6173.
This is a one piece per leg leggings pattern:
They are supposed to be made out of two way stretch knit, and are supposed to be stretched taut. I use the large size in one way stretch knit to make pants, not leggings. I also add one inch at the waist so that they are sitting at my waist - low waisted pants fall down on me. The added extra also allows sit down room, with only one way stretch this is needed.
I have made this pattern before when I wanted quick and simple polar fleece pants for cold nights:
|find these here...|
(Gosh, I was looking tired and stressed there - that was while I was sorting out our two year crisis, with still a lot on my mind).
I also made this pattern up in a stretch cotton sateen - very successfully:
|find these here...|
But back to today's make:
The goal was some quick and simple PJ pants to solve the cold legs in the morning problem:
Yes, this gets a bit cold and breezy while doing all those morning chores. This is much better:
And has the added benefit of going with my very shabby chic nightie. Even they look happier about this new addition to the wardrobe.
I like the loose, relaxed fit as I really don't want to struggle to put these on when I am waking up. One foot in quickly, then the other, and that's that. Easy.
And the back doesn't really matter, it's going to be hidden, but as this is a sewing blog, I know you will want to see what they look like from the back as well. Nice and long, cover the back of the foot a little bit.
I think I cut the wrong length with these, but I decided that was a good idea - the extra length allowed a nice deep hem, and a few slouchy wrinkles flopping around the ankles to keep the breezes out.
I also put a ribbon loop at the back of the pants so that I could quickly feel which was the front and which was the back without much light to see which way is which:
These are far from perfect, but more than adequate for the job. And really, really comfortable.
And, it only took a few hours from beginning to end to make TWO PAIRS!!
So I'm rather happy with this result. The mark in the photo above is just water - I was giving the PJ pants a quick press before posting, and the iron 'blobbed' water in this spot :).
The only thing I don't like is the leftovers:
Yes, I know they must have it in factories too - we know all about the RTW that gets thrown out each year, but there is also the wastage. I usually try and eke something else out of waste, but the shapes of this waste would not allow this - I know, cos I pulled out a few patterns to see whether I could do something with it.
It was also the wrong shape to put into the basket of bit for making undies one day.
That's my sewing this week - I can start making plans again now I have these out of the way:)
Wishing you all the best for the week to come...