My new leatherette skirt...
Until now, that is. I happened to see this faux leather in Spotlight, and it was 40 % off, which made it only about $12.00 for fabric, plus thread and zip. I loved the colour and decided to buy it.
I decided to use a straight skirt pattern I have used before:
As this fabric cannot be ironed (it's sort of PU sprayed onto polyester jersey) as it would melt, I had to decide how to flatten the seams. I decided on to fold the seam over (like a flat fell, one seam trimmed back, and the other folded over, but not pressed under), and then top stitch it.
I inserted an invisible zip, and also finished below that with the same seam method.
For the waistband, I thought this fabric would not take the strain of a skirt hook, so for the inside waistband I used a firm interfaced cotton drill. I also used a bit of elastic as both my waist varies, and so do the amount of layers I might wear with the skirt. They add bulk too.
I overlocked the seams - the fabric was not going to unravel, so I could have skipped this step, but it just looks more finished inside.
I used a ball point needle to make this skirt - I wasn't sure what to use, but it did sew up very nicely.
Now for the construction pictures (I'm sort of proud of how this skirt worked, but I have to admit I did put in quite a bit of effort too!):
Back with invisible zip:
The folded and flipped seam below the invisible zip:
The folded and flip
Details of the kick pleat - I used binding on the inner pleat as this was less bulky than doing a narrow hem on this fabric:
And the finished entire length of the back:
Normally I tend to wear tops out over my waistline, as I am a rectangular shape and can look a bit like a block, albeit a thinnish one.
So this is what the skirt looks like with a longer line top over it:
So there we are, my never say never faux leather skirt. I love it :)
Do have a lovely weekend everyone, wherever you are...