My new tablecloth trousers - aka a wearable muslin.
The line drawing indicates that the pants are quite generous through the hip, although they look less so on the model - but then, there is probably a large bulldog clip "fitting" the pants at the back. That's what happens in photoshoots. Don't believe the great fit you see, it's usually obtained by all sorts of tricks of the styling trade.
This was the fabric I had in mind:
I would hate to ruin this fabric by poor choice of style, so I proceeded cautiously. First I made a muslin to check fit. I cut size 8 hips, crotch and legs, merging into size 12 at the waist. I also added just over 1 cm to the front rise and just under 1 cm for the back rise:
The hips are still too big and curvy:
And the back looks okay, except I do have a high hip on one side:
I'm not going to worry about the high hip, that is being worked on by my physio and my co-operation with exercises.
These are the alterations needed - maybe a bit more at the waist, and take in the hips:
And the new muslin - looking better through the hip area :
The back looks fairly good for me, I usually have a lot more problems than this:
And here is the result ( I added a slightly wider waistband to balance the chunky look of the damask):
I did make the waist a little larger than necessary - I was not sure how much extra I would need to accommodate the bulk of the fabric in the waistband and the seams. I overcompensated, so I had to run some elastic in the back:
Now, there is still quite a bit of wrinkling under the bottom, and down the legs. Partly this will be due to the extra width in the back and the elastic waist, and partly I suspect the fabric - there is no drape factor at all. This is the sort of tablecloth fabric you would starch (if you lived in that sort of olde worlde environment, that is, and like starching tablecloths. Not for me!!). If you remember, the muslin did not wrinkle much at all.
These pants do have great big deep pockets -
The pattern did not suggest bar tacks, but I put them in - the pockets were going to catch on things otherwise. I also did my usual topstitching everywhere:
Now the frieze of pictures - I look a bit careworn, I took these last night after work:
Verdict - l a great pair of fun trousers that I shall enjoy wearing casually on cooler summer days next summer. I have a few casual shirts that needed something to go with them, and I think these fit the bill. The elastic in the back will make them very easy and comfortable to wear. I may have to shorten one leg - the pants want to settle lower on one side, due to my hip issue. I'll see what happens as I wear them.
But, do I want to make these up in the smart fabric. No, they are not quite the right style for the fabric I had in mind. I still like the concept of this suit, but the jackets need to go with a smarter pair of pants.
So, I have not wasted my time - a great pair of pants from stash I did not like. And I did not ruin my good fabric!