Summertime and the Living is Easy
Here is this weeks garment - a loose dress for wearing around the house on hot summer nights when you just want something big and baggy to throw on after a shower. I used Burda 7066:
This is a loose A-Line dress that you just pull on over the head - simple and straightforward sewing. Even though the dress is not much more than a simple bag, I did make a calico to see how the neckline sat as it looked quite wide and deep on the pattern envelope (I made view B).
I used a furnishing cotton from Spotlight, which is not high quality, but works well for these simple garments. It's not heavy weight, just a nice lightweight cotton with a bit of body (mostly from the screen printed stripes).
Not a pretty sight, but here is is:
Not very inspirational is it? A piece of old sheet never looks very elegant. But it does tell me that the sleeve length is fine as I cut them the finished length, the waist position is fine, and the neck is fine as it is. However, don't forget there is a seam allowance attached, so if it is fine as it is, it needs a seam allowance extra added, if that makes sense! As for length, this was the length of the leftover piece of sheet, and not the planned length.
I altered the pattern then by adding 5/8 inch (1.5 cm) to the neck edge, and adding length to the hem. Luckily this was a multi-sized pattern to size 24 - I just drew the size 24 hemline as my hemline. I don't always measure, preferring often to work by sight. I also added pockets in the side seams. I did not add belt loops, as I prefer to sit my belt where I feel like it should sit on the day.
For those of you wanting to make this dress, the arms are quite slim - so if you are larger in the arm than me, do make sure the pattern piece fits you.
Now let's look at the bag- whoops, I mean smart house dress:
As I said, nice and cool and roomy. The hemline is even, I am just standing with my right shoulder a little down in this picture.
The next picture shows you the roomy A-Line shape and the pocket placements:
A side view- there are slits at the sides of the dress for movement (complete with my signature button):
The pattern also included a belt, so I made that as well - I thought that would make the dress a bit smarter- it might even get worn to the supermarket:
And the back view with belt:
I think this dress is a great success and has quite a future. It was an economical make, with the fabric costing $10.99. The pattern cost $5.00 and was purchased especially for this project. Add a bit of interfacing, thread and serger thread, so AU $20.00 will well and truly cover this dress.
I did hope to make two of these dresses this week as I am on semester break. I have, though, neglected lots of things over the last few weeks, so there was some catching up to do, at home and at the practice. So dress #2 will happen next week.
I also decided it was time to start the style transition that I talked about some posts back. So now I have a smart little bob - there is still some growing out of layers to do, especially at the front, but I think this cut suits me nicely. I feel more like me, so I think that is a good indication that I am on the right track :)
To everyone, I hope you are happy and healthy, take care,
Sarah Liz :)