My t- shirt drawer is full of old, tatty, t-shirts that need replacing. I would really prefer to buy cotton t-shirts instead of making them, because I really do not enjoy this sort of necessity sewing, which is all I seem to do! You know, all those good old basics that always wear well, but aren't the most inspiring sort of material for a blog.
(Yes, I know it is sacrilegious talking about wanting to buy something on a sewing blog, but still, sometimes it can get tedious making the basics).
It seems that nice, long sleeve cotton t-shirts with higher necks are not able to be purchased anymore. Not where I live, in any case. I've looked online, and all the t-shirts around at the moment have low necks - which makes for a cold neck area, shows my bones, if not slide off my shoulders altogether. So, with much sighing, back to the cotton knits in the stash. And I made two more black t-shirts - which I wear a lot, under jumpers and things. I wear dark colours under woolies and fleecy garments because fluff tends to adhere to white t-shirts. I also think that black looks okay when the jumper or fleecy garment is peeled off on a warmer day.
I used my favourite t-shirt pattern, Kwik Sew 3766:
When I made this t-shirt t before, I used a very stretchy knit. When I applied the neckband, it sat perfectly. I also made a less stretch version, and a combed cotton version. The neckbands in the last two versions did not sit so well, but were passable.
When I applied the neckband to my black version, this was the result:
Even with pressing and stitching in place, this was going to look puckered. There is not enough stretch in the interlock. So, I took it off (and I was making two, and had to take two off...) (and was relieved I had not used the serger for sewing this band on).
So I added a new neckband, and made it a little longer, in the hope it would fit better, but then it was all wrong at the top of the band:
Out with the seam ripper again. Then I made a new neckband out of ribbing, which luckily I had in my stash (which just goes to prove how you should collect everything in your stash, and make it bigger and better every year...:)).
Which worked perfectly:
So in the future, I shall use a rib band with this pattern. I think it is needed, as the neckband is 6/8 inch wide - just under 2 cm - and the inner and outer circumferences need to have a quite a bit of give.
Two quick views - I apologise for today's very unclear photographs - it is what my camera chose to do. I do not want to redress and take these photos again! I mean, I am a sewer, not a photographer or model :).
(I'm wearing Kwik Sew 3766 the t-shirt with Kwik Sew 2960, pants - made in stretch cotton sateen).
So, now I have two new t-shirts:
Which brings my recent total of new black me made t-shirts to four, with my Vogue 9026 banded top
and Vogue 8536 t-shirt.
I think that is quite enough in the way of black t-shirts now. I am glad that I have them, but I am also glad that the job is done. Time for some sewing colour...even it is it a basic! :)