Back to Basics 2 - The T-Shirt Collection.
The navy cotton is a combed cotton jersey, purchased from Spotlight, for $11.99 per metre. I used 2 metres of 112 wide, but did not have matching rib. And, I have found out I really need 2.1 metres of 112 to squeeze out two t-shirts. Luckily, wouldn't you know it, I had another piece of this in my stash (cos I stash fabrics that are hard to get in multiple quantities sometimes) and so could cut the neckband strips from that. A slightly different dyelot but that is okay.
The pattern I used was my usual TNT t-shirt, Kwik Sew 3766.
The neckband in the pattern is about 6/8 inch wide folded and finished. It is cut shorter than the neckband, and when I made this pattern in combed cotton a few weeks ago, and used the pattern piece, this is the result I got:
All puckered and pulling. Pressing was not going to make this look much better. I removed the neckband, and added extra length to match the neckline length, and got this result:
And resorted to rib, cut to pattern width and length, which worked perfectly:
As I did not have rib this time, I though I would use the same fabric, cut to much the same length as the neckline but about half an inch folded over and finished.
And it seems to work reasonably well. Excuse the threads here, I had not finished the garment at this stage - I leave threading ends through and snipping them, until I have finished the whole garment and then I do them all at once, while enjoying a nice cup of tea. The lace at the back is how I cover the serge off section of the overlocking. I like things to look finished. And the dyelot difference is okay - it tones, and is darker, so I can live with that :).
And now for the views: