Over the last couple of weeks I have been wishing I had a pair of knit trousers to wear in the evenings - just warm enough to keep the cool of the evening manageable, but not too hot, as the humidity levels are already rising on the mid-east coast of N.S.W.
(Before I continue the post, I just want to mention the lighting problem for photographs as the moment - I am not sure why, but our latest bulbs seem to cast a death like grey pallor on the skin (or maybe I look like as bad as this and never noticed!) and also creates shadows. I'm taking these in the evening,as I often have to do, so they have to be on. I don't have a nice light room to take photographs in during the day, and outside is often not viable here as the weather is often wet at this time of year. Sigh, a problem to work on... ).
Back to the post...
I had absolutely no inclination to make them, as the ideal fabric was currently in the form of PJ pants in the softest, nicest, lighter weight cotton knit I have ever felt. They had been worn once, so I snaffled them and put them in my stash. But the problem was I hate doing refashions of any sort. Too many constraints and often unpicking to do before you can even cut out:
BUT, THE FABRIC WAS SO GORGEOUS...
Now, the constraints - if you look closely at the photograph above, you will see that the inside leg is twisting to the front - so this means these pants have not been cut on the grain.
The other constraint was that these were one seam pants - no side seams. So I could only make a one seam pant. I chose McCalls 6173:
I have made this pattern up a number of times as a slim leg pant, and not a legging. I have never really bothered fitting it properly, as the garments made were always urgently needed. And they were always PJ pants or track pants. (For those of you who are interested in my earlier versions, all posts can be found here:Leggings as slim pants. )
And I did the same thing this time. These are urgent need pants, so I just got on and made them. I have already traced and modified the pattern piece. I used size M and added more to the rise. Not sure how much, because that is not noted on my tracing.
I took the pants apart and also removed the elastic in the waistband for re-using - it was a nice width and not easy to buy. Tedious as there was a lot of unpicking involved in that. I located the grainline down the cut open legs of the trousers and marked that with chalk. With knits, you can find the grainline by following a line of rib. Not easy with a fine knit like this - I had magnifying glasses on to do this job.
Then I laid my pattern pieces out - and found I had to undo the hems of the original legs. Have you ever undone cover stitching??? Even more tedious than removing the elastic.
Then I made the pants. That was the easy part. And this is the result:
(I'm wearing the pants with a t-shirt I made a couple of years ago - a modified version of New Look 6216. Original post here. It's become old enough to be a cosy lounge wear partner for these pants).
As we all like to see how things fit, I'll do the only between sewers photographs next.
I can see these being modified into a pair of jogger look pants...on the list of ever growing plans.
But for now, back on with my cover-up top, which I am afraid is a RTW. I found it recently for a few dollars. Not entirely my style, but fun for warmer evenings. And when I get tired of it, plenty of fabric to make a new style of top.
Bye for now,
Sarah Liz :)