No Bubbles but Bubbly Pants at least...
(In a nutshell, the pants muslins told me that all the ways suggested to fit do not really work for me. Choose your hip size - well, that is 4 sizes smaller than my waist, which leads to a lot of distortion in style lines - and the legs are still really baggy. Take in the legs, narrow into a small crotch, and then up over a tummy curve and you do not have a good look. Disheartening, and opens up my old teenage figure wounds, of wanting curves - you know, defined waist, bust and hips, nice shaped thighs etc. Never happened. Still have my straight shape with tum and narrow hips and thin limbs. And, to rub salt into the wound, recently I have lost a kilo. Been trying to put it back on, but it is stubbornly staying away at the moment).
So, to cheer myself up, I raided the stash and made some baggy pants yesterday. Thoroughly fed up, I decided not to make a muslin - I mean, these looked like roomy pants,with an attached elastic casing. So really, I thought, nothing much to fit. And there wasn't, except these are the first pants I have come across with a very low slung crotch. Just like trousers used to be years ago, with crotches down to the knees, big and baggy. So in future I shall check the crotch depth. The pocket bags are huge as well. But at least they are comfortable, and they are hardly anything more than happy pants for weekend relaxing.
The pattern is Butterick 6137:
Yes, big, baggy, unfitted pants. As you can see, the waistband is quite high, or the crotch length deep, whichever way you want to put it. I made View D.
I cut size 8 with extra at the waist (size 10). I made sure that the pants would slide over my hips, which they do easily. I used slightly narrower elastic of 1/1/4 inch instead of 1/1/2 inch as the pattern suggests, as that is all I had. And I think that is quite wide enough for me. I made the waistband a little narrower to fit this elastic.
The fabric is a cheap craft cotton from Spotlight, purchased at the beginning of the year on sale. It sort of had a bounce to it, and my overlocker didn't like it at all. My big machine didn't like it much either, but we all managed.
I finished the casing by sewing the casing so I could topstitch on the front of the garment. The pattern suggests a line of stitching at the top of the band, which I did. Again, I remember doing these sorts of bands years ago:
I also turned in the hem by 1/4inch on the trouser hem, instead of overlocking. It looks neat, and in a cotton, does not add bulk:
So, lets have a look at the finished garment (photographed in the evening again, and I am rather tired and grumpy ... and I think I should have combed my hair first...definitely debubbled...)
Front - see what I mean about the low crotch? Baggy pants are supposed to have lower crotches, but it does feel a bit low on me. I'll raise it next time, or shorten the rise, if I make these again.
Back view - I pulled these up for this photo. Things always slide down on me. Again, you can see a bit of bagginess from the deep crotch.
And side view. And a half side view, with pockets:
I have to admit, the finished pants look remarkably like the picture published by Butterick, that I showed you at the beginning of this post.
The trousers are finished at the length suggested by the pattern. Quite short, and I am not tall. So if you want longer trousers than this, or are taller than me (I'm 160 cm approx - about 5'4" if I try and stretch myself tall.
I actually am getting around to quite liking these pants, for weekend wear. I am wearing them with a top I made, Burda 7079. You can find my posts about this top here.
Well, I am going off now to re-carbonate by making a shirt. I haven't made one for a while, so I am out of practice. So I'll raid the stash for a fabric that can be sacrificed because my technique is going to be a little rusty.
And I need a break from pants...
Take care everyone, wherever you are..
Sarah Liz :)