A few colours don't really suit me, and warm greens are in that group. I had a piece of greyed green cotton lawn (from Spotlight) in my stash, and decided that it was really not quite right for me, but it did go with a scrap of patterned lawn I really like that I had leftover from another recently made top.. Now, there are a few things I don't like having around in the stash - that's little bits looking for a garment, and colours that don't really suit.
I put these two together and made myself a top I did like immensely :). And, although the colour is not the best for me, there is something I really like about this soft, peaceful grey green colour. And the contrast placket and collar stand give a nice focal point.
I used New Look 6374:
I'm not one to get scared of sewing a new technique. When I was young I used to sew with gay abandon, and I think that is still a good approach. The worst that can happen is you muck something up, and if you are making for yourself, you can usually do something creative to fix the problem. With a bit of concentration and fiddling, I managed to do a reasonable job, although there is room for improvement - that's the great thing about sewing....
I added buttons because the placket is very long, and is anchored by a row of stitching half way up the placket - which happens to be just above the top button. There was a bit of gape, and I also knew I would catch things in the hole, so I anchored it back down with buttons. Which I think looks quite nice....
So, for those of you that like details - I cut size 10 (the smallest size) and a 12 front. The shoulders are a little large on me, but passable. Not surprising, because I usually cut size 8 shoulders and armscye. The pattern said to interface both collar stand pieces and all of the placket area. I thought this might turn out to be a bit stiff, but decided to try the method to see what happened, as much as anything. I found the lightest piece of interfacing I had , but I still think the finished result was a bit too stiff. Next time I shall either use a piece of light woven something, or not interface both collar stand pieces. The placket could have interfacing only to the fold line.
Some quick views and then I must go and do some chores before a sewing fix:
And this is a pattern I will come back to - I love the variations, and I really like the style and shape of this tunic in the longer length - I think it is very flattering.
Have a great sewing weekend, wherever you are..
P.S. Costings - Pattern $9.95, Lawn $11.98, thread and needle allowance, $5.00, buttons $0. Little shirt buttons come off my husbands discarded worn out business shirts.
Total : $26.93