Posts

Showing posts from 2018

Introducing: The Caitlin Cami by Daydream Patterns.

Image
Once again it seems I have been missing for quite some time from my blog.  But this time there is another reason behind the usual busy life reasons. I have been busy behind the scenes with pattern testing a pattern that was  released yesterday. The Caitlin Cami and Slip by Daydream patterns.    I could not resist this opportunity, because over the last twelve months I had delved into the world of lingerie making - and I love it! https:daydreampatterns.com This pattern is for a classic bias cut slip and cami style for using with woven fabrics. Unbelievably, this sort of lingerie pattern is quite hard to find either in the Big 4 or in the Independant pattern ranges. Daydream patterns are designed by patternmaker Jo England, and is based in Australia - well, really on the internet at  https:daydreampatterns.com . The pattern testers worked in a small closed group on Facebook and we tested two versions - the first draft of the pattern, and then the second draft, which was

Back Blogging Burda 8998, a Knit Top.

Image
As  promised, I am back with my next blog post. This week I will share my second version of Burda 8998 with you.  I wanted a roomier style of t-shirt, thinking it might be more flattering to wear.  Out came this pattern and out came a remnant piece of combed cotton knit.  I was none too sure about the roominess of this style, but nothing ventured, nothing gained.  Only one way to find out, and that is to try it. My first version was made in a thick, bouncy, knit and was designed to be worn over layers:                                         (You can find the original post by clicking here). So I knew the rough parameters worked.  But a different fabric, and much less bulky meant the final look was quite different. I was making this during a period of some stress, so I decided to use the same size as before - namely size 10/36.  Which happens to be the smallest size for Burda 8998.   As for length, it is shorter than the pattern, but by h

Drape Front Knit Top: Simplicity 1716

Image
   This week I started recovering from my sinus problems and managed this simple top and also managed to work and do all my chores.  I even finished the quarterly tax statement for DH's practice yesterday evening - I had the lightbulb moment idea of taking my dinner and working on in the evening.  So I had this morning free to cut something out! But that is a digression. Today I am going to show you my version of the very popular top by Simplicity patterns:  I decided to make version F without the gathers.  I thought the gathers along with the draped neckline cowl would just swamp my straight frame. It has been on my to do list for a couple of years now.  And then when I realised I had the perfect fabric, it was a match made in sewing heaven. The fabric I used was a cotton/lycra mix.  It was a black and white fabric I found on Spotlight's clearance table, and it was $5.00 per metre, down from $24.99 per metre.  I bought a few metres, but noticed at hom

Toaster Sweater Simplicity edition, A Handknit Cardigan and The Bomber Dress being Worn...

Image
 I have no doubt my face says it all. What I think about my test version of the popular Toaster Sweater, the Simplicity edition:  Of course, I imagine myself as looking a little casual and sophisticated like the young ladies in the picture.  I know I am not (although my husband tells me I am very sophisticated and he likes my practical attitude).   But perhaps it is the quality of my knit, which is an acrylic/wool mix, a remnant piece found at Spotlight. I think there is a heavy emphasis on acrylic, which I don't think I like that much.  It's very soft, and was terrible to sew - I managed to get the neckline and cuffs done neatly, but the bottom band just waved and waved.  I removed the first attempt and recut another band, very carefully tacked it on, very carefully serged with differential feed engaged.  And it waved and waved.  So in the end I had to press it, which is not a good idea with acrylic, so the band then stretched out.  Still, I see this in RT

Finally, the Beryl Bomber Dress

Image
A few weeks ago, I finally made the Beryl Bomber Dress by Named. It was on my to do list for over 12 months, and I was determined to get this dress made before Bomber styles go out of fashion. Before I post anything about the dress, an update on why I have not been blogging much recently. The first is that I have become very busy over the last 12 months, and have rather a lot on my work and personal plate.  So blogging has taken a back seat. The second is that the nature of blogging may well have changed.  It seems to me that many sewers now communicate via Instagram.  So I am finding that not so many people read or comment on my blog. This does not bother me per se as I do no need for validation or for being popular.  But I do think that this change in the media landscape warrants a different approach by me towards blogging.  It will become more a record now of my makes and progress and less geared towards comments and communication. And as it will be more of a personal record,