And another reason - it's BRAugust, hosted by http://tailormadeblog.com/. This is a fun event being held on Instagram throughout the month of August and I am taking part. And I have pledged to make a few bralettes during this challenge. The Jasmine is my first make for this challenge and is the second bralette in this post after the Scuba Watson.
I have already played around with bra making as an exploratory process. I managed to finish two bras - one a Watson which I have nearly worn to death even though it was rather imperfectly made. You can see my original post here: http://sarahlizsewstyle.blogspot.com/2017/08/a-bra-break-from-sewing-watson-bra.html. I made my original Watson in a cotton/lycra 4 way stretch knit.
The other was a Kwik Sew bra - which did not fit well and has gone into the "to visit later" pile.
The Watson Bra, for those of you not familiar with it:
This is my latest Watson made in a stretch micro Scuba knit:
I also wanted to only partially use a firmer tricot in the bridge section of the front band, although I did line the whole front band in mesh to cover the edges of the tricot. You can see the zig-zag seam if you look closely at the photo below:
I also used mesh to line the cups - the original Watson has unlined cups, and I wanted a nicer looking finish. I also had never lined a cup so this was a another learning exercise - how to fully enclose, seam and then topstitch the seam and lining at the same time.
The next challenge was covering the underbust seam. This is just zig-zagged down in the original pattern, but I wanted to cover the seams so they looked finish. I thought about this and then though I would use some stretch lace, which seemed to work:
I did have difficulty applying edging elastic to the underarm and neck areas. I just found the scuba too thick and unwieldy. Next time I will try a fold over elastic in these areas - this was suggested to me by a lovely Instagrammer by the name of Linda Merigo. She makes lovely lingerie and is quite an inspiration to me.
Next challenge was the straps. I followed the instructions which ask you to fold the front seam down over the ring and zig zag. I tried this but the scuba was quite thick and the resulting effort was a mess. In the end I undid this area and just attached the elastic by bar tacks to the fronts of the bra cups and put the rings at the back.
The back is closed with a three hook and eye closure - I forgot to take a photo of this, but it really is a pretty standard looking bra back closure, so I am sure you can imagine it:).
I am pretty happy with my new Watson bra in micro Scuba lined with mesh. The cups feel a little firmer than those on my original cotton/lycra Watson. The band is a little larger - I am not sure if this is because the elastic is longer, or whether it is because I used Scuba. But with the three hook closure this is easily remedied. I am concerned that the Scuba may pill and pull quickly. Now I have to put this to a road test to test it's wearability and overall performance (and if you are wondering, the size I used is 34B)
My next make is the Jasmine Bra.
For those of you not familiar with the Jasmine Bra (by Ohh Lu Lu) here it is:
This is a simple little Beginner's Bra. I want to work with simple patterns over the next few weeks because I feel that I need to just to get the hang of various techniques and fabrics. And also because I like some of these simple little styles!
I made this up in size 34-35 (sized for about a B cup)in a cotton/lycra knit. I checked the pieces against my Watson pattern and was pretty sure the size was right. I quickly basted the pieces together by hand and checked - yes, okay! Then it was a straightforward sew - except this pattern has half inch seam allowances which I found awkward when attaching elastics. I may alter the pattern in future so that it has 1/4 allowances. The seam allowances did not really bother me that much but I did have to trim them back. Unfortunately, I did this after I had sewn the straps onto the back band, and misjudged, so my straps are now slightly differently spaced from the CB. Only noticeable if you really look.
I did break with the pattern and opened my seams up and topstitched them. I wanted to keep the CF seam strong so I covered with mesh folded in three. Bit tricky, but it was all I had to improvise with! It worked, that's the main thing, although not my neatest effort at the top. I need practice with these fabrics.
For those of you new to bra making, here is a view of the straps - they are really quite simple to do, although I am still learning to trust my machine to stitch these.
I am wearing this today as my first wearing. It's very comfortable and more supportive than I thought it would be, although not as supportive as the Watson. I think this will be a fantastic little hot weather bralette. When you need something but you don't want to wear anything because it is too hot. And s it is so simple to make a few may end up in my lingerie drawer for hot weather wear and frequent washing.
That's it for today's post.
Bye for now,